Truth Reel w/Swimbait Rod(s) Tryouts

Started by PERRO, October 23, 2016, 04:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PERRO

Hey Everyone,

I recently acquired a " Truth SM Surf Reel ", to utilize with larger Swimbait ( 10 + ounces ). My current Rod & Reel set-up, I felt was @ it's limits tossing " 6 + Ounces ".

Unfortunately, I needed a longer casting Rod to get maximum Reel performance / casting distance. After a bit of research, I ended up purchasing two rods.

1. ABU Garcia Fantasista Beast : 10' - 1 " Rod./ Ex Ex Heavy
http://www.abugarcia.com/abugarcia-rods-casting-rods/abu-garcia-fantasista-beast-casting/1373580.html#start=5

2. Okuma Solaris Surf : 10 ' Rods / Heavy
http://www.okumafishing.com/product/view/rods/surf-jetty/solaris-surf

Both Rods,side by side in above photo

Pyramid Lake, CA

My patch of Rocky Shoreline, testing area.

Soft Swimbaits used : Savage Trout : 3 1/2 Ounce & 10 1/2 Ounce.
http://savage-gear.com/product-category/soft-lures/fresh-water-soft-lures/

Both Rods cast very well with the smaller 3 1/2 Swimbait. The Abu Garcia is rated @  XX Heavy & was much stiffer. But, I specifically purchased it to cast Heavy  " 10+ ounce Lures "

I was a bit surprised using the " 10 1/2 once Swimbait . The ABU Garcia Rod , still felt very stiff & didn't load very well compared to the " Okuma ", which felt much softer & smoother casting. It loaded very well using both the Savage Swimbaits.

After casting both Rods using the Truth SM Surf reel, there was a noticeable difference in how they both felt in the grip / butt area.

Abu Garcia has a trigger grip, which limited were/how it could be gripped comfortably, while holding the Reel down in free spool. The heavier Savage Swimbait, required a very, very firm thumb hold to keep it from slipping during a cast.

The other issue, was with  my hand placement ( limited ). The reel base kept rubbing against my right index knuckle, which quickly became irritated & annoying after a dozen back to back casts.

Photo Example

Heres a photo of the " Okuma Rod " , which felt better overall & had a longer Butt, which did help in a power cast.

After changing the Truth Reel from one Rod to the other, I arrived to the following conclusion(s):

1. I didn't care for the trigger grip on the ABU Garcia Rod.

2. Due to the limited hand placement ( ABU Garcia ) , the Truth Reel rubbed against my right hand index finger knuckle & the Rods Trigger Grip Protrusion, rubbed into my right middle finger knuckle.

IMHO: I believe the " Okuma Solaris " performed better & was a better bargain @ half the price of the " ABU Garcia Fantasista Beast Rod ".

I did learn a few things: I'm not going to be casting any heavier lures,  than " 10 + ounces " allllll day.  :o

Heading home, lake closes @ 1800 hrs.

swill88

FatTuna

Out of curiosity what do you catch with those 10 oz lures?

Ron Jones

I've looked at the Okuma quite a bit. It may be a rod I pick up in the future, I appreciate the review.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

PERRO

Quote from: FatTuna on October 23, 2016, 06:50:10 AM
Out of curiosity what do you catch with those 10 oz lures?

I was @ a Shooting match ( Smallbore ) earlier that day & decided to head down to the Lake,  as I was in the general area.

There were others fishing nearby catching small stripers ( approx 12 -18 inches ) using baits.

I was targeting the much larger versions. However, the " CA DFG " hasn't stocked the Lake with " Live  Trout Plant ". That entices the much Larger Stripers  
( 15 - 30 lbs  + ) into the Harbor/ Boat Launch Ramp area, where they are normally dumped into the Lake.

Otherwise its soaking baits ( Blood Worms / Fresh Anchovies / Legally caught Live Shad ) with lots of small ones caught, along with a few Big ones.

I didn't get a bite or see a " Striper Boil / Feeding Frenzy " that day in the Harbor area.

I'm not targeting small Stripers using my gear:  " BIG BAITS, for BIG FISH ".

I've witness a few guys catching Trout in the mornings & then using them as live bait catching very large stripers, which is illegal in CA.

Ive also seen guys using " Savages Trout Swimbaits " catching some Big Stripers. That is why I've bought a few to tryout.  

PERRO

What I do and many others, is to take two or more Rods ( Two Rod License ).

One Rod baited with Blood Worms , Anchovies or Sardines.  The other Rod is used for tossing Swimbaits or Hard Baits, Plugs, etc.

Allen Coles AC Plugs

http://acplugs.com

I met Mr. Cole @ Pyramid Lake, when he started making his handmade lures  ( 30 years ago ? ) & saw him catch some Big Striper.

Rancanfish

I had a few AC plugs at one time.  Wore myself out tossing them and never got so much as a swirl.  I switched over to soft baits and had some luck.

That's a nice collection if it's yours.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

PERRO

Quote from: Rancanfish on October 23, 2016, 07:09:57 PM
I had a few AC plugs at one time.  Wore myself out tossing them and never got so much as a swirl.  I switched over to soft baits and had some luck.

That's a nice collection if it's yours.

FYI: Everything " I " have posted , ..has been with with my personal equipment / gear, & honestly field tested.  

I'm Retired & on a " TOY BUDGET ". I don't have any personal, or financial connection to anyone.

My best has been a " 20+ lbs Striper " @ Pyramid Lake on soaked bait ( Anchovies) , which was documented @ the Lake ( Photos )  & posted on " Western Outdoors News  ",  approx ( 25 yrs ago ? ). This was before the: Selfies / I-Phone / Digital photos era ... :-*
http://www.wonews.com

I haven't been successful in hooking up a bigger Striper on artificial lures @ this time.
I'm bound & determined to meet the challenge . ;D

Rancanfish

I hope I didn't offend.  I wasn't sure if that was your photo is all.

PS, I have a Hobie Float Cat that size.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

PERRO

Quote from: Rancanfish on October 24, 2016, 03:04:27 AM
I hope I didn't offend.  I wasn't sure if that was your photo is all.

PS, I have a Hobie Float Cat that size.

NO OFFENSE TAKEN,, ! ;D

I'm a small time, freshwater  " Fisherman ".. Hoping to one day, catch a " HUGE FISH "  :o

Mudman

Mr. Perro! It's me Mud from BCUSA.  ;D

Good to see your still fishing. I still need to head out your way some day for fishing. I still have some of my swimbait gear.

When I was casting the 16oz Mattlures dead twitch, I was using the Shimano Calcutta 400 and XXH LDC rod. It was a pig to throw.

You'll get em, just gotta be patient. Wasn't too long ago people were talking smack on the dead twitch. Until several people stuck some huge stripers at DVL. A friend (who I lost touch with) caught a 30+lb striper on his the same day the bait came.

PERRO

Hey Mud,

This year, I'll be better prepared with my new  " Heavy Duty Casting Truth Reels  ".

I'm confident, I'll get a hookup using one of those " Trout Pattern Lures ".  

I just need to spend more time on the water during the " Trout Plants ".  ;D

P.S: I do have two, what I considered " Heavy Duty Freshwater Reels ", which I bought new , over twenty five years (?)  ago..!
Shimano Triton Mark 1 & II

I'm considering using the " ABU Garcia Rod " with one of the above Reels, as a Backup ....?

However,.." I " personally can't cast as far with the Shimanos , compared to the " TRUTH SM SURF REELS ".  ;D

PERRO

Since this is my " Rods Tryouts ", using a " Truth SM Surf Reel ".

I'm going post a few more photos of the Rods I tested, with a different reel using the same hand placement.

Abu Garcia Rod

Compared to the " Truth SM Surf Reel ".

Just trying to emphasizes how different Rod Designs, can effect a comfortable hand placement.

PERRO

FYI: The " DFG " has started planting " TROUT " at many of the local Lakes : Castaic & PYRAMID..!

I was @ Pyramid Lake on Friday, & saw lots of larger than normal trout swimming in the Boat Launch area.

My buddy caught a few Trout, using a small Lure ( Kastmaster ).
http://acmetackle.com

Unfortunately, we didn't see a boil ( Feeding Frenzy ) that day.

The more I use the " Truth SM Surf Reel & Okuma Surf Rod ", the better I'm getting @ casting the larger Swimbaits.

I'll be heading back on " Monday ",  to enjoy the scenery & hopefully hookup a " STRIPER ".

PERRO

Back on the water late today ( 1200 hrs ).

I decided to tryout a few " AC Plugs " , which are a bit lighter in weight, than the Savage Trout Swimbaits.

A few guys were catching trout, ..But, there were no signs of Stripers today  :-\

UUUGH,.. Slipped & fell on the Unstable & Slippery Boulders  :-[

Time to pack up & head home ( 1630 hrs ), Lake closes @ 1700 hrs.