braid dig in to parent spool when spooling up?

Started by ScottOz, October 23, 2016, 08:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottOz

Hey All,
            Over the weekend I went about spooling  my new Tynos 50 with 500yd of 100lb power pro.I made a spooling station that I could clamp the reel to and a drag system for the parent spool of braid to go on.Problem was when I put 12lbs of drag on it, the braid was digging in on the parent spool of braid.Most drag I could get was 8lbs of drag without dig in.So I spooled it on to a old 20sized reel I had.Was then able to use that to put the line on the tynos under 12lbs of drag.At that setting it was rock hard on the spool.How have others over come this problem? The reel was then filled up with 80lb stern mono line.

Tiddlerbasher

I invariably use an intermediate spool. Starting with the manufactures spool I wind the line onto an industrial spool for wire. I use as much drag as I can before dig in occurs. Manufacturers spools tend to be too loose to spool directly onto the reel. I then fix the intermediate spool on my drag mechanism and wind up the drag (usually 10lb). Then hit the power button and spool the reel.

You seem to have done it pretty much the same way using 2 reels. I used to do it that way but it was a lot of effort.

ScottOz

I even tried going around the parent spool after putting the line on the second reel.Trying to use the bare parent spool attached to the spooling station like a slave spool to provide the tension but the line kept crossing over it's self.Tried for 2 hours to get that to work.Seen that idea on the Paulus site.
Would not work for me.One day I want to use my mincer motor and gearbox to make a line winding machine.

Tiddlerbasher

A powered line spooler (with adjustable drag) is the way to go :)

For splicing I use 2 10mm coach bolts approx. 60cm apart bolted through a bench. Onto these I fix 1 nut, 1 large metal washer, then 2 rubber washers, then 1 large metal washer finally another nut.
The line is pulled tight and clamped between the rubber washers. I then apply a drop of flexible super glue and quickly wrap the joint with ptfe tape (plumbers joint tape). A couple of minutes later I remove the tape (ca wont stick to ptfe).

Keta

Jerry (JB Line 1) spools his line at 10# and I have never had this problem with his line, IIzor and Power Pro haven't had this problem so far too.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain