home made line holding splice jig .

Started by ScottOz, October 23, 2016, 09:20:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottOz

Hi All,
         Here's a idea for those doing hollow core line splice's that want a cheap, strong jig to hold the line.I just made one out of some 40mm diameter pipe and some 50mm boxing.The boxing is the base about 500mm long and the 40mm pipe about 300mm long gets welded to the end of the base boxing to make to upright posts.Then get a bicycle inner tube and cut about 150mm long.You can just get it over the pipe, but it's a tight fit.The tube is to protect the line.You will also need 2 plastic spring clamps I tied some 2mm sheet rubber to the jaws but you could use some more inner tube.This is to protect the line..To use clamp the jig to a sturdy bench or table with strong G clamps.Wrap the line 3 or4 times around the top of the post but being careful not to over lap the wraps.Then put the clamp over the wraps just to hold there.Then pull the line very tight over to the other post and wrap around 3 or 4 times and put the other clamp over the wraps.This jig won't break or damage the line and will not slip.You can break 100lb braid and the line still won't slip on the post.Best of all it's cheap.I made mine from scrap I had at home.Could make with wood and PVC water pipe but won't be as strong and take longer to make.Hope the photo makes more sense then my descriptions.In the background is my home made spooling station.

Bill B

Scott thats a great idea, is it possible to get some details on the winding station also....if it is as sturdy as the splicing station is, then its bullet proof  ;D   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

gstours

Great post;  we like inexpensive, I like your ideas to protecting the line too.   Thanks.  your idea is mine now !!!!! :-*