PG 454

Started by eguinn, October 24, 2016, 07:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eguinn

Hi, I was wondering if anybody has tried to put the Black Pearl double dog bridge plate in 1 of the 454's, if so how is it working out or did you have to do any mods to it or the side plate? Thanks Ed

Rivverrat

This is a straight up direct replacement of your existing bridge. Should be no issues.... Jeff

Rancanfish

Works great in my YTS (454).  I added the 98-320 sleeve and a Penn steel gear too.  Tick,tick,tick,tick,tick!  I love the sound with the new double dogs.

To answer your question, no, no mods necessary. Drops right in.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

eguinn

Have you actually replaced the bridge plate in a 454 with 1 of these BP bridge plates, the reason why I'm asking is Ken from Ken's Custom Reels has had problems with them, he told me that you need to bevel the edges of the BP plate to make them work properly. I found what he said to be true when I tried to put a Penn  500 jigmaster bridge plate in a Pg 255 so that i could use a SS gear sleeve instead of having to modify a gear sleeve or modify a post on the Pg bridge plate. I had to bevel the edge of the Penn bridge plate so that the spool would not rub, what was happening was the spool would rub on the edges of the stock Penn bridge plate. That is my concern about using the BP bridge plate. I know Bp products are very high quality but when you have to modify them or in the case of some of the Penn 113h side plates people had to modify them to make them work right. It kind of defeats the purpose of buying 1 of his bridge plates if you have to modify something to make it work. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to knock any of his products or what he is doing, it's just that there are a lot of things to think about when you make a aftermarket product. Thanks

eguinn

Thanks, that what I needed to know before ordering 1, I know that there where problems in the past trying to modify Pg reels with Penn parts. I was typing my response when you answered my question. Thanks again

MarkT

I put a BP double dog bridge in my 545 without any mods.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Maxed Out

Quote from: MarkT on October 24, 2016, 09:54:58 PM
I put a BP double dog bridge in my 545 without any mods.

Same here with 541.... Dropped right in
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Black Pearl

Quote from: eguinn on October 24, 2016, 08:23:24 PM
  Have you actually replaced the bridge plate in a 454 with 1 of these BP bridge plates, the reason why I'm asking is Ken from Ken's Custom Reels has had problems with them, he told me that you need to bevel the edges of the BP plate to make them work properly. I found what he said to be true when I tried to put a Penn  500 jigmaster bridge plate in a Pg 255 so that i could use a SS gear sleeve instead of having to modify a gear sleeve or modify a post on the Pg bridge plate. I had to bevel the edge of the Penn bridge plate so that the spool would not rub, what was happening was the spool would rub on the edges of the stock Penn bridge plate. That is my concern about using the BP bridge plate. I know Bp products are very high quality but when you have to modify them or in the case of some of the Penn 113h side plates people had to modify them to make them work right. It kind of defeats the purpose of buying 1 of his bridge plates if you have to modify something to make it work. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to knock any of his products or what he is doing, it's just that there are a lot of things to think about when you make a aftermarket product. Thanks

Totally understood. I tried to make it for the PENN's products only, and it is hard when I don't have any access to any PG or Newell reel. On the other hand, the tolerance of PENN's products are all over the place.

I am really sorry that some people are having hard time to install some of the parts I have made. It is ok that a person can request a full money back if he is not satisfied with my products. I don't want anybody to keep my product if he is not happy with it.

eguinn

I should try my BP double dog bridge from my Accurate 300c & see how it works in the little PG 255, i know it worked fine in a Pacifica 2500 I had.