Great Tape for your Spool

Started by gstours, May 04, 2017, 05:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

A few people have wondered what to use at the bottom (foundation) of the spool to prevent slipping and add a cushion or grip.   
     Below is a picture of what I have had good success with.  Its Teva brand.   This one is 3/4 inch wide,   Available in good paint stores as an automotive type cushioned flexible masking tape.

This stuff is stretchy, flexable, sticks good to a waxed spool and seems to pack down good under a load.
  You can see that it is quite different from most paper or other tapes.

One roll is under $5,  will do all your reels and will do your friends reels as well.  :-*
8)
     I use a bees wax and heat it somewhat and rub it on the bottom of spool,  as it drys it will harden some and become somewhat sticky.
This will add some corrosion protection from the hated salt water. ;)        Its something to try?

Alto Mare

Gary, I've seen some of your fishing and if that tape works for you, it will work for all.
Thanks for sharing.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

SoCalAngler

gs,

Is this tape water proof? Trapping saltwater in the line and on the spool is the main reason for corrosion IMO. That's why I and many others use a tape that does not absorb water.

David Hall

gstours

Thanks for the waterproof question.   I use wax under the tape as stated, and have had no corrosion problems.  Maybe our saltwater up here is a different salinity as we are closer to the north pole where all compasses still point? :)
   Its always ok to pull the line off and inspect annually.  I wish they made a delrin coated spool kit for use to use?