Release SG possible antireverse problem?

Started by nik33134, October 28, 2016, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Bryan Young on November 20, 2016, 04:18:20 PM
Contact Truth Reels. They may ask you to send it back and will often fix and upgrade to the newest design if the failure was a design flaw.

Also ask if they'll pay for freight from and back to Greece, nothing to lose if you ask...

http://www.truthreels.com/pages/contact-us

nik33134

Quote from: Potiguar - AKA MeL B on November 20, 2016, 02:00:33 PM
nik click this

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9647.15

scroll down and you will see that it(1st gen SG i think) has a dog. did you open your reel?

I read that you unscrewed the pre-set knob. When you screwed it back in was the lever in free spool?

I always have the lever drag in free spool when I adjust the pre-set knob, as I read somewhere (probably here) that I could damage the reel if I don't do so. I checked out the link, and it seems that already from early 2014, the SG came with a dog. I bought my reel early 2015, so mine should have it as well. So it seems that the clutch is slipping (when the drag is set quite high), and the dog is not engaging either. How probable is that? Anyways, I will also contact Truth Reels and see what can be done. If I do send it to them, I'll need another overhand reel to replace it while it's gone, either a Metaloid 5 2speed or a Torium 16. Thanks for the suggestion.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: nik33134 on November 20, 2016, 08:33:56 PM
I always have the lever drag in free spool when I adjust the pre-set knob

I meant after completely removing(unscrewing all the way) the pre-set knob do you put the lever to free spool when putting it back?

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

i have the Andros 5IINa and Torium 16 lefty, go with the metaloid because you already have a single speed and a 2 spd makes life when you are winching that "beast" just my honest opinion...but if you are going to cast the torium will do a better job out of the box. good luck and tight lines!

nik33134

No casting for me, just jigging and bottom fishing. I'm leaning towards the Metaloid 2 speed.

Bryan Young

It sounds like the spring as slipped.

Check out this post about half way through.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=16979.0

I would still contact them, take some photos of your parts and describe what is going on.  The may send you a few springs, a replacement dog and/or a new gear set to fix the issue.  It's probably cheaper than them shipping the reel back to you.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

nik33134

Good idea Bryan, I'll check the dog and spring, and contact Truth reels for parts. How do I remove the retaining wire? With a screwdriver or a blade?

Bryan Young

I used a jewelers screwdriver like the kind you use for eye glasses.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

nik33134

So today I managed to open up the reel and found out that it has the dog with the spring in place but it doesn't work. The edge that's supposed to grab the gear seems rough, or worn out. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to remove either the main gear bearing, or the anti-reverse bearing, so I used CRC6-66 to clean and lube the anti-reverse externally. That didn't work either, so the handle still spins backwards when line is pulled out, even at low drag pressure. I guess I'll have to contact someone at Truth reels as I am at loss.

Jon_Kol

Quote from: nik33134 on November 25, 2016, 09:08:30 PM
So today I managed to open up the reel and found out that it has the dog with the spring in place but it doesn't work. The edge that's supposed to grab the gear seems rough, or worn out. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to remove either the main gear bearing, or the anti-reverse bearing, so I used CRC6-66 to clean and lube the anti-reverse externally. That didn't work either, so the handle still spins backwards when line is pulled out, even at low drag pressure. I guess I'll have to contact someone at Truth reels as I am at loss.

Same thing happned with my first Truth LG. Write to Truth and explain (send pictures). I was given a new reel cos of this failure, both the AR-B and the dog had failed and were broken.

nik33134

I emailed with Will over at Seigler reels and he sent me a new dog, AR bearing and few more parts just in case, and all free of charge. Response was very quick and I am a very happy customer. Thanks again Will and Seigler Reels, no complaints whatsoever. Great service and great reels.

Goby

Quote from: nik33134 on October 28, 2016, 10:44:06 PM
Hey Joe, you sure it's the anti-reverse? When I try to pull the handle backwards it doesn't slip. I also noticed that sometimes when I push the lever drag, the drag preset knob will also move one or two clicks, which is very annoying because I have to adjust it back all the time, or my drag gets too strong.

Hi guys,

I've also had the same problem with the drag preset moving one or two clicks on my SG lefties to the point that one in particular can lock up - originally posted on the first of the release/truth/Seigler entries. Nik did you sort it out, my reels are both set at 8lb of drag off the reel or about 10 through the rod, so no massive numbers.

As I'm in Western Australia don't want to send the reels back. Have emailed but had no replies. Anyone any ideas or got direct email to Seigler, I am technologically challenged so may have hit wrong buttons when trying to contact them. Likely as from what I have read here and elsewhere everyone raves about their after service.

Cheers,
Fishing, motorbikes, family, friends, beer and bourbon, but not necessarily in that order!

nik33134

Hi Howard, I did not solve this particular problem. I think it's a problem with the positive feedback of the preset knob. By positive feedback I mean that the preset knob is not clicky enough. If it was clickier it wouldn't move by itself, or when accidentally touched. I would try a stronger spring, but I don't know if that will affect the drag.

Goby

Hi Nik,

Thanks for the reply and sorry you've not been able to sort your problem out. I'll strip mine down when I have time, at the moment looking after grandson (fishing with him in a few hours) and renovating. Will also try spring if everything else looks OK, thanks. As far as the Metaloid, great reel, have a 5 two speed, awesome, just wish they did a 5N in a lefty.

Cheers,

Howard
Fishing, motorbikes, family, friends, beer and bourbon, but not necessarily in that order!