alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Release SG possible antireverse problem?
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
December 16, 2017, 04:53:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Release SG possible antireverse problem?  (Read 15328 times)
Goby

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2017, 09:40:28 AM »

Hi again Nik,

Did you ever get a reply from Seigler? I've had none. Go the Metaloid two speed, absolutely awesome,dropping down a gear when it's big is amazing the extra hurt you can put on them, rather than they on you. Having said that got completely stitched by a big yellow tail king last time we were out, but it was the size of a small submarine in about 10 metres of very reefs water.

Cheers,

Howard

Fishing, motorbikes, family, friends, beer and bourbon, but not necessarily in that order!
nik33134

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2017, 09:27:40 AM »

Here you can see the problem with the preset knob moving. Check at 2:40 , 3:00 and 3:20 of the following video

https://youtu.be/2wSo0CZDIhY?t=159

Goby

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2017, 07:05:58 AM »

Got a reply from Will at Seigler who put me in touch with their dealer here in Australia (who it turns out was a student of one of my colleagues at Murdoch - small world). Seems the problem is if the thrust bearing goes it can cause the cam to wear on its key and this then causes the drag to "self" adjust. I checked the cam and there is a lot of play on bothe reels. Chris, the dealer here sent me a new cam and bearing and, as long as this fixes the problem, will get another for the other reel and order a SGN. Hope this helps anyone else with similar problems.

Cheers, Howard

Fishing, motorbikes, family, friends, beer and bourbon, but not necessarily in that order!
nik33134

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2017, 10:47:17 AM »

Hi Howard, I did not pursue the sliding drag matter any further, I just learned to live with it, since I don't set my drag too high. What exactly is this cam you're talking about? Is it that disc that's inside the drag preset knob? Does the youtube video I posted show the problem you have with the drag?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 10:28:34 PM by nik33134 » Logged
Goby

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2017, 04:58:09 AM »

Hi Nik,

Yes the cam is the brass/bronze disc inside the preset knob. Will, at Seigler, told me to undo the drag preset, take the cam out and then put it on th part that sticks out of the reel (you will know what to do when you see it), if it turns more than 4 mm on the outside of the cam, then you need a new cam and probably a new thrust bearing. He reckoned that a worn cam can cause a "plethora" (his words) of problems with the drag. I suggest you contact him and get new cam and thrust bearing sent, he put me in touch with their new dealer here and got one set sent and another is on its way for my other one. Good service once they answered their emails, and love the reels and, like you, only used on light drag settings. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Howard

nik33134

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2017, 01:14:53 AM »

Hey Howard, then I already have an extra cam that Will sent me some time ago. I just never replaced it because I didn't know if anything was wrong with the original one. I will replace it as soon as I get a chance and will let you know if that took care of the problem...
Goby

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2017, 04:02:43 AM »

Hi Nik,

Hope it works for you and for me when I get round to it. Still trying to get the trailer/van sorted and then the reel. And then, hopefully the estuary will get warm enough this year to chase whiting (not the ones you get in the North Sea Atlantic, like mini bonefish and taste delicious) on surface lures on the flats and when the wind and swell are down use the reel for Samsons (in my picture) and yellow tail kings prior to the demurs all season opening. Good luck with the reel.

Cheers,

Howard

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: