Release SG possible antireverse problem?

Started by nik33134, October 28, 2016, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goby

Hi again Nik,

Did you ever get a reply from Seigler? I've had none. Go the Metaloid two speed, absolutely awesome,dropping down a gear when it's big is amazing the extra hurt you can put on them, rather than they on you. Having said that got completely stitched by a big yellow tail king last time we were out, but it was the size of a small submarine in about 10 metres of very reefs water.

Cheers,

Howard
Fishing, motorbikes, family, friends, beer and bourbon, but not necessarily in that order!

nik33134

Here you can see the problem with the preset knob moving. Check at 2:40 , 3:00 and 3:20 of the following video

Goby

Got a reply from Will at Seigler who put me in touch with their dealer here in Australia (who it turns out was a student of one of my colleagues at Murdoch - small world). Seems the problem is if the thrust bearing goes it can cause the cam to wear on its key and this then causes the drag to "self" adjust. I checked the cam and there is a lot of play on bothe reels. Chris, the dealer here sent me a new cam and bearing and, as long as this fixes the problem, will get another for the other reel and order a SGN. Hope this helps anyone else with similar problems.

Cheers, Howard
Fishing, motorbikes, family, friends, beer and bourbon, but not necessarily in that order!

nik33134

Hi Howard, I did not pursue the sliding drag matter any further, I just learned to live with it, since I don't set my drag too high. What exactly is this cam you're talking about? Is it that disc that's inside the drag preset knob? Does the youtube video I posted show the problem you have with the drag?

Goby

Hi Nik,

Yes the cam is the brass/bronze disc inside the preset knob. Will, at Seigler, told me to undo the drag preset, take the cam out and then put it on th part that sticks out of the reel (you will know what to do when you see it), if it turns more than 4 mm on the outside of the cam, then you need a new cam and probably a new thrust bearing. He reckoned that a worn cam can cause a "plethora" (his words) of problems with the drag. I suggest you contact him and get new cam and thrust bearing sent, he put me in touch with their new dealer here and got one set sent and another is on its way for my other one. Good service once they answered their emails, and love the reels and, like you, only used on light drag settings. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Howard

nik33134

Hey Howard, then I already have an extra cam that Will sent me some time ago. I just never replaced it because I didn't know if anything was wrong with the original one. I will replace it as soon as I get a chance and will let you know if that took care of the problem...

Goby

Hi Nik,

Hope it works for you and for me when I get round to it. Still trying to get the trailer/van sorted and then the reel. And then, hopefully the estuary will get warm enough this year to chase whiting (not the ones you get in the North Sea Atlantic, like mini bonefish and taste delicious) on surface lures on the flats and when the wind and swell are down use the reel for Samsons (in my picture) and yellow tail kings prior to the demurs all season opening. Good luck with the reel.

Cheers,

Howard

Goby

Hi Nik, Hope the replacement cam worked and that you're not too cold, it's a balmy 24C here during the day and bloody cold at night , 19C at the moment at 10pm. Waiting for a lefty LGN to arrive and when finances allow will order a lefty SGN. Love these reels for the price and, now that they have a local dealer, the warranty. Kind regards and happy new year to you and all on this site, Howard

nik33134

Hi Howard, and a happy new year to you too. I haven't been out to sea for quite some time now so I didn't try it out yet. Temperature here in Greece is a little cold, but not too bad. 10-13C daytime and 6-8C at night.