King Kandy for kings?

Started by gstours, February 27, 2019, 05:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

For my fishing for these kings I'm thinking that the larger herring will give more visibility and the mouth is plenty big, but they may prefer a smaller snack more often?  Anyway it's a very colorful lure.🤙

gstours

We use the whole herring size plug for the larger salmon,  but the other sizes might produce as good.
   This is all I can help you with. 
        This salmon was taking a plug as a feed.    Very welcome 🙏

gstours

These plugs are designed to roll over in a circle about a foot or more in diameter when the speed and current flows around them.  Many other plugs will spin in a tighter circle it seems.  To me its a slower and more natural presentation.   Cohos for instance seem to prefer a fast moving lure where we fish for them,  with or without a flasher.
   I cant wait to test the mini.   I have not had good success yet with the candlefish plug yet.   These will eventually get tested, and reported. ???

gstours

This fish took a blue chrome plug with a modified addition.  A e-chip was removed from a flasher and epoxied to the side of the body in the center.  I never used it much, until the last trip.  The jury is you folks,    It's got a lucky start, butt, was it just luck?   
  I'd be happy to hear from your opinions, and make some changes as needed.  Thanks.🚶‍♀️

gstours

I have a better picture of the e-chip plug.  The jury is still out, ;) butt ive got plans on putting another test plug togather with the e-chip placed in a 45 degree angle instead of the 90 degree of the one shown here.  I,m not sure what to do actually,  the idea seems sound and logical as it may act like a vane or rudder and affect the spin in a positive manner?   I love being inventive and almost always mess with stuff to try to improve a store bought item.   Generally there is a benefit.  Butt nowadays everyone seems like the cost, time, possible failure ratio scares them back to the chair, sofa, or gym.   Thanks for trying to understand retirement as you only go so many days left. :o

The sun did finally come out that morning.

Ron Jones

I would think the chip would change the speed at which the lure roles over. You could use that to your advantag if you wanted to slow your troll.
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

David Hall

Man between working on my boat and recovering from working on my boat I've not been paying very close attention here and this thread escaped me until minutes ago.  I have given the king Kandy a try here in our local waters Dominic and I've had zero luck with them so far.  I must qualify this by saying that It is not uncommon for me to have to play around with leader lengths, flasher styles, hooks, to find the sweet spot of a particular lure.  I have not adjusted anything on them since I initially retired them with single barbless hooks on short 24-30" leaders,  I am re rigging them this year to run on a longer 48-60" leaders. I cannot believe they won't be productive, I created a squid jig with the the same color schemes and it has proven to be deadly so I haven't played with much else, once so get something that's working I tend to go with that until it stops working. 

gstours

Every area seems to fish a herring differently it seems.  Your open water trolling is quite a bit different than trolling the shoreline as we do here.   We have folks here that use flashers, downriggers, etc.  Butt I,m not changing too much gear as we had another short season.
    Yes working on the boat seems like an eternal thing? ???    But neglect will cost you more, and a bigger sudden disapointment.... >:(
  Yes, i also agree with the e-chip placement idea mentioned just previous as affecting the action of the tempermental plug.   I did the first version at 90 degrees to the spine,  and it does actually spin a little slower in rpm than a stock plug.   So maybe this is good,   as when we fish bait herring we try to slow the spin to a wider, slower arc diameter.   Butt the jury is still out.    More testing needs to be done. ;)