What do you use for verticle jig molds?

Started by ReelFishingProblems, October 28, 2016, 06:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcool3

Quote from: Bryan Young on October 30, 2016, 05:35:53 PM
My friend uses Bondo. I have yet to try it but want to.

i have tried making molds with bondo. all these molds warped after a dozen pours.  it is hard to
work with as it hardens way too fast.  it is also quite toxic
(msds http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=SSSSSuUn_zu8l00xM8tvmxm95v70k17zHvu9lxtD7SSSSSS--)
Way more toxic than melting lead.

My silicone molds each use $8 worth of MOLD MAKING SILICONE.  See my primer on silicone mold making.

basszilla

I'm new to the forum, not sure if I want yet another detail-oriented hobby, but here goes...

Would it be possible for someone to post a pic of one of the commercial molds you guys are talking about (or point me to a site)? I just want to get some idea of the size and shape of these things.

Thanks!

Bryan Young

Quote from: basszilla on January 16, 2017, 03:32:58 AM
I'm new to the forum, not sure if I want yet another detail-oriented hobby, but here goes...

Would it be possible for someone to post a pic of one of the commercial molds you guys are talking about (or point me to a site)? I just want to get some idea of the size and shape of these things.

Thanks!

I think the mold company is do-it-molds I recall
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Cor

Here is an example of a silicone mould, this one a bit crude!
Cornelis

basszilla

Maybe my brain has shut down for the night, but I just spent 20 minutes at the Do-It Mold site and couldn't get an answer to a really simple question. What are the lead molds made of? Are they aluminum? The reason I'm asking is that I have a bench-top CNC mill out in the garage. My current software is 2D, but 3D is available (I just need a good excuse to buy it). That silicone mold in the photo above would be pretty simple to duplicate in 6061. Is that what Do-It is selling - aluminum molds that can be hinged or clamped together while the lead is poured?

Bryan Young

Quote from: basszilla on January 16, 2017, 06:31:21 AM
Maybe my brain has shut down for the night, but I just spent 20 minutes at the Do-It Mold site and couldn't get an answer to a really simple question. What are the lead molds made of? Are they aluminum? The reason I'm asking is that I have a bench-top CNC mill out in the garage. My current software is 2D, but 3D is available (I just need a good excuse to buy it). That silicone mold in the photo above would be pretty simple to duplicate in 6061. Is that what Do-It is selling - aluminum molds that can be hinged or clamped together while the lead is poured?

I believe that the molds are made of aluminum alloy.  To the exact type, I don't know.  Sorry.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

thorhammer

They are aluminum. You can get a blank mold from Jann's Netcraft.

ReelFishingProblems

Maybe we'll have a new source to make custom jig molds here

basszilla

OK, I'll need to think about this a bit. It's got to be a combination of selling some and using some myself to be worthwhile. Thanks for the info, I'll follow up here on the forum if it looks promising.

gstours

Steevo was right about no moisture in the mold.  :-\ ::) Preheat the mold first to aid in the initial pour.  Lead and water are kinda explosive, so wear safety glasses at least.    Lastly if making a silicone or bondo mold use long pieces of coathanger size wire inside on each side like rebar to stiffen the mold jig.n   Good luck and have fun. ;)

Gadget

Hi Steve - O .I make my own slow fall and knife jigs up to 350gms over here from high temp silicon moulds made inside PVC plumbing tube.
They work well but the question I have is where did you find the eye stickers you are using.
I cannot locate anything similar over here and just wondered whether it was one of the usual tackle stores there so i could purchase on line
regards
A bad days fishing is better than a good day in the office

ReelFishingProblems

thorhammer

Nick do you want some diamond jigs when I send your goody box down?

droppedit

http://www.dbanglingsupplies.co.uk/pirk-moulds

I found this online and know of a couple people that have purchased these. I actually fish with 10oz jigs for cod and pollack in New England and found them to be my favorite.
Hope this helps,

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

ReelFishingProblems

Quote from: thorhammer on November 16, 2017, 12:50:48 PM
Nick do you want some diamond jigs when I send your goody box down?
You know i'd never say no to that.
I may need you to put a note in the box that you threw them in there. She'll think i've been going to Tampa fishing outfitters instead of work!

Nick