What do you use for verticle jig molds?

Started by ReelFishingProblems, October 28, 2016, 06:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Has anybody purchased anything lately from these folks?   They look pretty well made,  and have a pretty good selection of Jig molds that i,ve never seen before.   Is shipping expensive,  if so people could combine an order possibly?    Just wonderin.    Maybe somebody knows.   

ReelFishingProblems

Quote from: gstours on November 19, 2017, 02:21:43 PM
  Has anybody purchased anything lately from these folks?   They look pretty well made,  and have a pretty good selection of Jig molds that i,ve never seen before.   Is shipping expensive,  if so people could combine an order possibly?    Just wonderin.    Maybe somebody knows.   
I'd be interested in joining an order for some of the pirk molds. They look great

Keta

A friend of mine lets me use his D0-It Flutter Jig mold, depending on the size they run between $35.00 and $75.00.  When they let us fish a lot of lingcod are caught on these.  I prefer using large plastic swimbaits over jigs most of the time though.

Quote from: basszilla on January 16, 2017, 06:31:21 AM
That silicone mold in the photo above would be pretty simple to duplicate in 6061. Is that what Do-It is selling - aluminum molds that can be hinged or clamped together while the lead is poured?

My Do-It molds are all hinged aluminum.  Almost any aluminum will work, use what you have,  I think I have 1 home made aluminum mold made out of 5056.  

I have 2 molds (16oz and 32oz cannonballs) that came hinged but the hinges broke due to years of use and they are held together with a clamp when poring. My 16# downrigger ball mold hinges broke on the second ball I cast, the handles broke off a few later, and has been clamped with a C clamp for many pours.

Quote from: oc1 on October 29, 2016, 08:29:15 AM
We used to make sand castings.  You can do one-offs with nothing but moist sand impressions.  Can't get cheaper than that.
-steve

I cast a dive weight mold using greensand.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

gstours

Mr.  Keta,   Im a dummy here in like what is greensand?     Sand with ???    thanks.

Bill B

Gary, not sure if you are talking about Jans Net Craft or not, but I just ordered 5 guide sets for some light/medium boat rods (they had a pre packaged set of seven guides including the tip) some thread coating and 10 brushes for $35 shipped ($9 was shipping).  The guides are not PacBay for sure but decent quality....Shipping was reasonable and about a week from Ohio to SoCal......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

droppedit

Gary, I know a person in New Hampshire is using these molds that he bought a couple of years ago. I do think he modified the forms though, and was using a welding wire that went through the jig. I just went to their website and it looks as though shipping is 10 pounds to the US. Not sure of the conversion rate but it sounds about right.

Dave

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

Keta

Quote from: gstours on November 21, 2017, 02:35:35 AM
   Mr.  Keta,   Im a dummy here in like what is greensand?     Sand with ???    thanks.

Casting sand for foundry work.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Gadget

I've experimented now with a number of different silicons and moulding systems.
Dow Corning made a good one years ago RTV 5120 I think it was and those moulds have stood the test of time (made in the early 80's). Apparently now though the mixture has changed and they dont last as long.
I was put onto silicons made by a company in the USA Barnes Corp. they have a couple of different high temp ones but the best is Wacker 4670 a beige coloured silicon. The salmon coloured one (number escapes me at present is not as flexible and can shear when extracting your poured jig.These moulds are good for perhaps 100 jigs if you take care of them.I have currently done 40 odd in a single mould with no visible issues.Two piece moulds are better than singles but they can be expensive. The silicon costs me $95 AUD for a kilo.roughly $70 USD. I can make two 350 gm moulds from 1kg as one piece or 4 as a two peice mould and then up to 630gms.
Hope this helps someone. Happy to take some photos and post them if anyone is interested.
A bad days fishing is better than a good day in the office

Gadget

I realise this is an old post, But I direct this query to Steve-O . I make a lot of my own vertical and flat fall jigs.Where did you purchase your eye stickers?I have been trying to locate those over here in OZ for a couple of years and have yet to work out where to buy them.Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Steve-O

Quote from: Gadget on January 31, 2019, 04:52:53 AM
I realise this is an old post, But I direct this query to Steve-O . I make a lot of my own vertical and flat fall jigs.Where did you purchase your eye stickers?I have been trying to locate those over here in OZ for a couple of years and have yet to work out where to buy them.Any pointers would be much appreciated.

G'day Gadget and Happy Belated Australia Day!  I have a new daughter-in-law  from Cronulla and she's a wonderful addition to the family.

I will be right back with the source of the eye stickers.

Steve-O

Steve-O

Here's the answer and probably why you didn't find them for two years.

I made them myself!!  ;D

Took me a bit to figure out that these were my own design, too. I Googled Slow Fall Jig eyes and kept seeing everything but these. Then I saw some on a jig that were kinda like and thought, I can do this.

Problem was I didn't save the file and had to recreate them.

You're free to use these all you want. Download or save the JPEG to your desktop and either use good quality paper or label stock. I used scissors to cut them out then a Sharpie® marker to go around the white edges. Stick them on before you dip your jigs in epoxy or whatever clear coat protection you use.

Cheers!

Steve

PS- if you prefer a different color scheme, let me know. My experience last year in Alaska was the solid green jig with black, red and yellow eyes was the MOST consistent fish catcher of all my jigs. Only had one and lost it ...grrr. The second best producer was white with spots and glow paint. Alaska fish are not very fussy eaters though.

Dominick

More talent on this site than anywhere else.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gadget

thankyou so much Steve-O .your blood is worth bottling. theyt are just what I've been looking for

Steve-O

You're very welcome, Gadget!

And for anyone else.....feel free to download and print all you need.