and so it begins.......

Started by alantani, November 04, 2016, 01:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

we decided to hit the car show in town this morning.  allison found a car that she wanted. 

steve found his favorite.

and i found mine!

it stretched for 2 blocks!

then i found this.  a shelby gt!

met donald and hillary!

from the show, we took a quick walk on the cauycos pier.

then we headed back to paso robles to see tom hryniuk at paso port.  https://www.pasoportwine.com/

we came back and met justin (redsetta) and his brother, andrew.

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bill B

Cool beans....from the ashes of a blown out fishing trip.....rises an epic adventure with friends..... ;D  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Shark Hunter

Careful for what you wish for Tom. ;D
Good to see the Man in Action.
Not a wine man myself, but everything else you make is on the list. ;)
Life is Good!

swill88

alantani

dinner tonight at the taco temple.  steve and ron stayed home to rest. 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

swill88

Alan and Ron tuning up a progear.  Tripled the freespool!

Alto Mare

Excellent report!
Tom, you're a man of many talents, great job! Since I wasn't there, I will need some samples for testing :)

Good job Alan, thanks for sharing with the rest of us.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

How did Jonathan do?

Out and back in OK?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

theswimmer

Quote from: foakes on November 07, 2016, 07:30:42 PM
How did Jonathan do?

Out and back in OK?

Best,

Fred

Hey guys so Sat was ok , rough but ok. Was bumbed to miss all the guys and gals 😣
Sunday morning we went out early to no wind , iron wind until we were about 9 miles off.
At  the point we were  exposed to the full force of the swell things got serious.
Not alot of wind but swells in the 16-18 foot range. We had a couple in a row that went 25  and one or two that were well into the 30 foot range if not larger.
We experimented with a bunch of different rig sets and I think we found some stuff that will work in big wave conditions
The boat will take much more than we can accommodate at this point
As we learn , we will be up to what our companions can do as well.
We just have to keep practicing.
Learned alot in two days and I have the bruise's to prove it.........
Best,
Jonathan

PS
Thanks for the concern Fred😎
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

broadway

Did you say 30' swells?! What kind of boat are you on... a CG cutter? Can you give me a wave period, please?
I've been out in 8' ers with my boat and it was no fun at all at certainly not fishable. I know the Northeast and Pacific have very different waves but I would think 30'ers would be totally unfishable regardless unless you're looking at a wave period of 18+...and even then you never know when one is gonna break or peak. :o
Stay safe out there guys and gals,
Dom

Ron Jones

I've made a career out of counting wave periods and from the beach it looked nowhere near 18 seconds. Closer to 10. Absolutely well into the I'm glad I'm not out there range.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

David Hall

I'm with you Dom, I was out last week took my mechanic with me, where getting slammed around in 8' swells with caps, and he's talking like this is nothing, I tell him forget it days over we can't fish in this.  Then I remembered, this guy has sailed to 38 countries and solo crossed the Pacific and Atlantic.  He wanted to spend the night out there and try fishing in the morning!
I couldn't stand up and there's no way to fish if you can't move around the boat, no fun and I'm not playing.
We went in.  The next day the swells were 10-12' and he texted me a pic, he was out on his sailboat 15 miles offshore enjoying the sunset.

Big Tim

No Way  JT...Alan an Andrew & Chief said we were boxed out.  Andrew was happy for the surf , Justin said it was a bit quick for him and the Coast Guard said HELL no...I'm not sure what that all means..But for me it meant HELL no!  ;D  Damn glad your'e OK JT.

BT

theswimmer

Psalms is a 48 foot Endeavor full keel sailboat.
She has about 10-12 k of steel ballast under her and is a pretty solid boat.
Sunday the wave period was not too bad in the morning at about 18-20 but got much tighter as the day wore on .
We had virtually no breaking waves offshore, where it  got scary was closer to the beach.
The bar getting back into Moss was Piece of cake because the swell was running WNW ,I wouldn't have tried for Santa Cruz,  the surf between Moss and Capitola was pretty steady at about 25' with 10- 12 between. Some waves looked much bigger.
There was about 8- 10 folks out surfing ,crazy!
We came in about one pm pretty beat up but ok. Didn't break anything😁 On the boat that is...
The owner of the boat has a lot off offshore time and I trust him but that was as big as I have ever been in.
We brought Psalms north from Long Beach 2 years ago and coming around Point Conception at night  we were in 10 -14  with about a 12 sec period and that was much rougher.
Sorry I missed everyone, looks like you all had fun .
Best,
Jonathan
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

theswimmer

Quote from: broadway on November 08, 2016, 04:19:00 AM
Did you say 30' swells?! What kind of boat are you on... a CG cutter? Can you give me a wave period, please?
I've been out in 8' ers with my boat and it was no fun at all at certainly not fishable. I know the Northeast and Pacific have very different waves but I would think 30'ers would be totally unfishable regardless unless you're looking at a wave period of 18+...and even then you never know when one is gonna break or peak. :o
Stay safe out there guys and gals,
Dom

Not fishing Dom , sailing.
The boat is a proven world cruiser with a Transpac and a trip to the Bahamas in her past.
We are building time for a Hawaiian crossing in the spring .
I have enough but more is always better. I learned alot Sunday and I think we eliminated a weak link in the crew .
Need one more sailor now.
Best  ,
JT

Errol Flynn