Spooling Reels

Started by Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B, November 07, 2016, 07:15:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

this is what happens when a store employee spools your reel;  :(

"THE INFAMOUS"

David Hall

No kidding?  They actually gave you 5 extra yards of line?  Hopefully they discounted it since it wasn't on the spool.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

ACTUALLY USED IT YESTERDAY ABOARD THE MALIHINI AND LOST A FISH BECAUSE OF THIS. THE GUY SPOOLED MY ANDROS 5NIIa  WITH 330 YDS OF 30LB IZORLINE BRUTALLY STRONG SPECTRA.  ;D :D ;) :)

AT THE END OF THE DAY I AM TO BLAME BECAUSE I LEFT IT ON KNOWING IT'S OVER SPOOLED. PAID FOR IT SO KEPT IT. THANK GOD THIS HAPPENED ON THE LAST STOP. OH WELL BUT LEARNED A LESSON.

"the infamous"

David Hall

Tangled up like that it applys excessive drag, like that sudden stop when you hit the ground.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: David Hall on November 07, 2016, 10:50:06 PM
it applys excessive drag, like that sudden stop when you hit the ground.

or when you hit a wall...

"the infamous"

foakes

Unless you are really confident in who and how your reel was spooled -- such as Alan, some others on here, and Pro places like down at Fisherman's Landing in San Diego -- you should try to spool it yourself.

You do not need a power line winder -- it can be done easily enough by hand.  Just use another reel to spool the line onto -- clamp the supply reel to a surface with the drag set barely enough to give a little back pressure -- then just wind it on your reel evenly.

Best not to get greedy by installing too much line.  Keep it managable -- and less is better.

I don't let the new guy pack my parachute -- and I don't let the kid at Big 5 practice how quickly he can spool up my reel.

Just my opinions...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

Many times I have to remove braided line just to get the spool off of peoples reels...

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: foakes on November 08, 2016, 12:29:43 AM
you should try to spool it yourself -  i usually do but but when i buy my reels at Turner's Temecula line is free.

You do not need a power line winder - i know and will post a photo ASAIC

Best not to get greedy by installing too much line - i didn't asked for it to be spooled that much

Best,

Fred

my line winder powered by my muscles ;D :D ;) :)

did this torium myself

"the infamous"

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

BTW when i want it stupidly tight i go to Sav on in Santa Fe Springs and let Jimmy spool it...or crazy stupidly tight maybe send it to Basil Papas.

PS i just remembered that i don't pay for the line when i buy at turner's - Turners' Temecula 951-296-5097

eguinn

Just a dumb question why did you use 30lb spectra, that stuff is so thin,it's easy for that stuff to get behind your spool or in between your spool & side plate if your clearance between the 2 isn't tight enough. Maybe use 40lb or even 50lb spectra unless you really need the extra amount of line for fishing something like BFT. Just a thought.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: eguinn on November 08, 2016, 03:39:13 PM
Just a dumb question why did you use 30lb spectra

there are no dumb questions here. as you wrote in your post unless i'm going for BFT i don't need that much line but i don't need 40/50lb either. to make the long story short at the end of the day i myself was to blame. knowing that it's over spooled i fished it and during a retrieve i didn't notice the line was bunching up on the left side. I don't know if you've physically seen an Andros 5NIIa, here is a photo of it;

btw i have small hands...