Deep Drop Fishing Line/Reel Maintenance

Started by coastal_dan, November 08, 2016, 06:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

Ok, I've read a few different things on a few different sites.  Some folks go to both extremes...so here goes my points and questions..  This is going to get a little detailed but keep in mind I want to do this right while maintaining my gear to the best of my abilities (while remaining reasonable with cost).  I've rebuilt a lot of reels, but rebuilding and using/abusing your gear are two different things in my opinion.

Here goes...

Line: 55 lb and 60 lb solid braid

Reels: Fathom 15 2 speed and US 113N Senator Narrow

Depth of Water Fished: 80 ft - 1000 ft

Style of fishing: Northeast bottom fishing - majority baits with lead varying from 8 oz to 48 oz. I only do about 6 trips a year but these are pretty heavy duty trips (not compared to Cali standards, but here in the Northeast, haha!). Minimum boat time is 18 hours with a maximum of 36 hours per trip 

Care Practice...Post fishing: Tighten drags and spray down with freshwater.  Once home I wipe everything down with Penn Rod/Reel Care spray, visual inspection of exterior taking care to toothbrush salt, blood and grime off the reel. Loosen drag and cover reel with a terry towel on the wall.

Questions:

1) What type of line maintenance should I incorporate into my standard practice? 
     A) Should the line be removed from the reel each trip?
     B) Soak line in a bucket?
     C) Re-wax/grease spool each time with new tape?

2) Should the reel be disassembled each trip?
     A) Check for salt intrusion?
     B) Check Drag condition?
     C) Re-grease as necessary?

3) Anything further for Rod Maintenance?

Any other tips from the seasoned fisher-folk let me know.  When working on the head boats and charter boats we always sent them to a reel guy once they got bad...I swore to never do that to my gear (that was 10 years ago, but trying to hold fast to the promise :)

Tight Lines Gents/Ladies.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

handi2

I think you will be fine with your regular maintenance doing 6 trips per year.

We use electric reels many times during the year and the braided line hasn't been changed in 4 years or more. They do get extremely cleaned after fishing.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

conchydong

Weather permitting we DD once a week with electrics and give them a good washdown and drying after each trip. We often get enough hang ups where we are splicing new line into the reel a few times a year so we don't worry about changing the line. I got 3 years out of a Tanacom before it needed some major work and we push it beyond it's limits. If you are using manual reels, like handi said, a regular maintenance should suffice.

xaf

Conchydong, just curious what kind of maintenance you had to do on the Tanacom.  I have a Tanacom 1000 that is about 3 years old that I use for deep dropping 2-3 times a year.  Other then adding some line due to hang-ups/break offs and cleaning the reel well after using it I haven't done any maintenance on the reel.  I've wondered  if there is something else I should be doing.  (I haven't had much luck with the cords.  I think I'm on my 3rd now. The seem to break close to the connection to the reel.)

handi2

I have 4 of them that used used hard. No power cord problems yet but I hear it's common. I keep the receptacle full of dialectic grease.

One motor went bad after 4 years and it was costly to replace. I know how to do it now so next time wont be as bad.

One problem out of 4 reels isn't too bad.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

coastal_dan

Thanks Keith and Conchy.  You never know, so wanted to ask  ;D

Keith - Btw, the Clash and Senator are working out fantastic  ;)
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...