Penn Slammer III

Started by rippin_lips, November 09, 2016, 03:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rippin_lips

Anybody tried the new Slammer III and have an opinion of it? I'm debating between a 3000 clash and a 3500 slammer. There is also the new 2017 Daiwa BG which looks good too.

thorhammer

Dunno but I love my original Slammers and wish I had gotten more. I will be trying them out.

rippin_lips

I have a 2500 clash and I really like it. I am hesitant to pay the extra $$$ for the slammer. On paper it looks great with the improved sealing and very strong drag numbers, but I am curious if anyone has found any glaring flaws or weak points before I spend that much instead of buying another clash.

thorhammer

I've caught mahi around 20 lbs bailing with my original 360 and 30 lb braid, so if they improved on that, I'm definitely in on a 5000 size.

handi2

The original Slammer reels are just better than the other similar reels. The drag system is far superior. I dont know why they are different (better) sans the drag system but they seem to hold up better. Especially the finish.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

rippin_lips

Quote from: handi2 on November 10, 2016, 12:04:48 AM
The original Slammer reels are just better than the other similar reels. The drag system is far superior. I dont know why they are different (better) sans the drag system but they seem to hold up better. Especially the finish.

Are the new slammers of equal superiority? We have all seen reel companies put an old name on a new reel that did not live up to the name. I'm thinking the new slammers should be great, I'm just curious if anyone had any first hand experience with one yet.

rippin_lips

Well the local shop had 20% off....couldn't say no..

coastal_dan

NICE!  Let us know how you like it.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

mizmo67

They look and feel good.
I love the knob..very arthritis friendly.
Considering a pair for home.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

rippin_lips

My first impression is that it feels great. It feels like it has better manufacturing tolerances. Nothing wobbles or wiggles. Good greasing everywhere that I looked without opening it. I noticed even the threads for the handle seem better, they seem finer and I would guess more of them because it feels like your screwing the handle in forever. I almost don't want to open it up for pre-service, its greased everywhere i looked.

handi2

Open it up and let us see !!
Gulf Breeze, FL

FatTuna

Not going to lie, I like the look. Seems like Penn is really stepping up it's game with their spinning reels. How does the frame look? I agree open her up and post some pics.

rippin_lips

I hit all the joints and important spots with reelX, then did a good spraying with silicone (real magic). I fished it for about 6 hours yesterday throwing lures and I have no complaints. Reel feels very solid and it took me a little to get used to the weight compared to my clash.  The drag is stupid strong, I didn't catch any fish strong enough to pull drag. I have a habit of pulling line off with my hand, but I couldn't get the drag loose enough. Maybe a good coat of Cal's will help, and maybe the drag washers need a breaking in I'm not sure. Overall very smooth and nothing feels out of place or off.  I'll study the schematic and tear into it sometime this week and share the pictures with you all.

handi2

I have the 6500 coming and will tear it apart when it gets here. We use 2 of the Daiwa Saltist when jigging and I'm hoping the Slammer will work out too.

A good Amberjack will test it out.
Gulf Breeze, FL

bmullaney

I have used the Slammer 3's now for 2 full seasons and LOVE them. I have (2) 4500's and a 5500 that I have been using for striped bass fishing both rec and commercial rod and reel in Massachusetts. They are SOLID! I just picked up another 5500 and a 8500 for bluefin under 300.

The Version 2 has a line roller bearing  - ver 1 had a bushing for line roller.