Penn Slammer III

Started by rippin_lips, November 09, 2016, 03:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmullaney

the 4500 and 5500 sizes are big hits if someone could do a service tutorial it would be valuable.  ;) I would but I am not mechanically inclined

Chuck750ss

Noticed Amazon has 4500 for 154.39 shipped. Sounds awful cheap to me. Not in the market for one,but if I was.......

Shark Hunter

I have a another trip to the coast soon and purchased A Fenwick Eagle rod and a slammer 3 4500.
This reel claims to have 30 lbs of drag.
I'm going to wear it out as my bait rod with 832 Sufix braid.
Internals seem pretty simple.
Single drag washer on top with a metal and cap. Three on the bottom.
Two are sandwiched between metal.
Hard to believe such a small reel with small new concept drags can produce 30lbs.
It feels solid.
$249 from Penn and big tackle store price.
$160 off amazon.
Reel was greased up with Penn Blue Liberally.
Removed it all from the drag washers and applied Cal's

Life is Good!

Gobi King

Daron,
Could you bench test the rated drag with some weight please and see how much flexing is there too.

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Shark Hunter

I'm waiting on the 30lb braid to spool it.
Hopefully I can hook a Big Red to really test it.
I can see snapping a rod with this one. ;D
Life is Good!

thorhammer

My gen 1 360 is one of my all-time favorites, and I've caught everything from trout to yellowtails to stripers to bailing good sized dolphin on it with 20lb braid on a ST Croix blanked-Thorhammer. It is my #1 go-anywhere outfit. I've used a borrowed gen 3 450 only a little as a jigging reel but it is solid indeed. If I didn't already have a load of SS and Slammer I's I would def spend the dough on this reel...and may anyway. Daron I think that will be a blast on a bull. Good luck!