My first 4/0

Started by mo65, November 10, 2016, 07:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

I've fished Penn reels since I was a kid, but never really had access to higher end models like Senators and Squidders until the interwebs came along. Growing up in rural southern Ohio, I saw Peerless 9s and 109s used for trolling Lake Erie, and 309s and Long Beaches used for catfish on the rivers. That was just about all my knowledge of Penn. In the past few years I've played catch up, thanks to sites like this one sharing so much info. As a result...my Penn reel collection has really grown...and recently I added this 113H...my first 4/0.
  I bought this reel on the big auction site, and like so many other purchases from there, the pics didn't accurately portrait the product. BUT...this time...the product actually looked better than the pics! I had initial plans to go full Monty on this reel, frame and spool kit, latest gear set, hot rod handle, stainless steel makeover, basically "the works". After holding the reel and inspecting the form and function...I had a change of heart. These reels are truly beautiful in stock form and solid as bedrock. I lost all interest in changing the outside appearance of this gem after seeing it's condition. I moved to the internals.
  The condition inside confirmed this 4/0 really had spent it's life in the box. The components showed no signs of wear. The bearings were smooth and free of corrosion. The only corrosion anywhere was on the spool...a faint ring along the edge of the line so commonly seen when not properly rinsed.  The stock drag set was a 3 stack of brake lining discs. I changed this to a Smooth Drag 5 stack of Carbontex. I used an Alan Tani ss gear sleeve with Bryan Young's under gear set, which gives me 6 friction surfaces for a max drag of around 30lbs. My target range is 20-25lbs., and I feel the stock stand and posts can handle this just fine. I was happy to see it had a beautiful moly coated steel main gear, as I had also changed my mind about gear ratio. This brings us to the first photo. 8)

:o *COOL REEL ALERT* :o

Wow...that's a sweet looking gear. All the new aftermarket gears are 4:1, and the stock ratio of 3.25:1 is more suited to what I'd need. This gear looks tough. This is my smoothest steel gear to date. I think it feels like a brass gear because of the bronze bushing.

I also used a Pro Challenger double dog bridge, and by using Alan's 8 tooth sleeve it gave me alternating dogs. I love the sound of alternating dogs. If I was going to use over 25lbs. of drag I'd use a 10 tooth sleeve for simultaneous dogs. I finished out the drive train with a stainless steel yoke and eccentric jack.

Here's the bits and pieces all shined up and ready to go back together. I greased the drags with Cal's, the gears, sleeve, and screws with Penn blue, and oiled the bearings, dogs, and ratchet with Corrosion X HD.

The finished reel pictured with box and accessories ...nothing anyone hasn't seen a million times before...but one turn of the handle and you'd agree...this one has mojo!

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

steelfish

great reel Mo,

and with those upgrades will serve you beyond your expectations.

The Baja Guy

Aiala

Welcome to the Senator 113H Fanatics Club! Yours is certainly a beautiful example... best of luck when you take it fishing.  :D 

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

oc1

Great looking reel Mo.  I think the catalog number translates to 1972 but the handle knob looks older.  Also, I thought the externally accessible drag was before 1972.  I'm getting Mike's book to sort these things out without bothering anyone.
-steve

STRIPER LOU

Lookin good Mo! These are great reels. It's my go too for large Striped bass.
................Lou

Dominick

It's a beaut all right.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

That reel is Gorgeous Mo! :o
Life is Good!

mo65

Quote from: oc1 on November 10, 2016, 08:16:12 PM
Great looking reel Mo.  I think the catalog number translates to 1972 but the handle knob looks older.  Also, I thought the externally accessible drag was before 1972.  I'm getting Mike's book to sort these things out without bothering anyone.
-steve

I don't know Senator dating details that well yet Steve, but I have saw a lot of easy access drag/butterscotch handle knob 113Hs in that same box and with same catalog. Here's a current listing of one just like mine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Penn-Senator-113H-4-0-Conventional-Saltwater-Fishing-Reel-with-Box-Catalog-/222302572316?hash=item33c2440f1c:g:crIAAOSwRgJXhYDz

Thanks gang for the compliments! 8)

USN_ED

It doesn't get any better than that MO.  Very nice!!!!!
ED

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Bill B

Great reel Mo.....after the 112H the 113H is my favorite size reel....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

mo65

Quote from: coastal_dan on November 11, 2016, 05:18:31 PM
Perfect, super sleeper!

Super sleeper indeed! I love building muscle under the hood of these reels while leaving the outside...unassuming...HA! ;)  One of these days I'm gonna delve into the outsides though...I have a hankering for one of Tom's Squidder kits! 8)

spc7669

What a find! Hope you have a ball with it!