Penn 113HN/US113 Senator Bridge Assembly

Started by Cortez_Conversions, November 13, 2016, 06:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

I don't own one of these reels, but I am glad that there is a demand for your product.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Rothmar2

Quote from: Ron Jones on September 30, 2018, 04:25:06 AM
I don't own one of these reels, but I am glad that there is a demand for your product.
The Man

The quality of Tom's work makes me want to buy one of these reels, and this upgrade, to just be able to first hand appreciate the engineering that has gone into this.

Bryan Young

The Man
Ron,

Want to try it out?  I have one. We can mount it to the seeker for the SOA Trip.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mikeysm

I have one also. Penn should have done this a long time ago. Toms modifed bridge is much stronger than the stock one. The stainless sleeve modification is just one piece instead of two.

Mike

Ron Jones

Quote from: Bryan Young on September 30, 2018, 03:54:39 PM
The Man
Ron,

Want to try it out?  I have one. We can mount it to the seeker for the SOA Trip.

Um, YES!:)
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

scrinch

Quote from: Ron Jones on September 30, 2018, 04:31:27 PM
Quote from: Bryan Young on September 30, 2018, 03:54:39 PM
The Man
Ron,

Um, YES!:)
The Man
My 113hn with Tom's bridge modification was my go-to reel at Cedros, Ron. I caught most of my yellowtail on it. It's only single speed and a little heavier than newer reels, but it's strong and smooth as silk!

Ron Jones

I saw it, in fact I think I passed it to you a coupe times. The YTS is my ALL TIME fvorite reel. Maybe it's time I give Penns version a shot. I was able to cast my YTS really nice with Bryan's jig stick, I bet I can make the Baja scream.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

badfish71

Cortez_Conversions

Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

badfish71

Ouch. Ok. Can I get in line pretty please?  ;D

Cortez_Conversions

Yeah, sorry about the wait. I put it on the build list, but there are a lot of things on that list!
I am humbled that there are about 300 of those bridges out there and I've only heard from one customer that routinely hooks big sharks, who says he does get a little binding on the bridge shaft after long runs at full drag.

I don't keep waiting lists or take money upfront. I usually spend the money and lose the list, too much of a hassle.

Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Rivverrat

Quote from: scrinch on October 01, 2018, 04:14:00 AM

.....  smooth as silk!

I've been suprised more people dont mention or notice this about the Baja / US113.

Also unlike other reels reels from a well known maker they just keep getting smoother the more they are used. With what the US113 cost new, even adding the cost of Tom's anti reverse there is no other reel made that will compete with it for dollars spent. Certainly no star drag. The lever drags with this level of performance most likely wont cast as well & will be at least $200 more.

The Penn US113 with Tom's anti reverse puts a level of performance in a persons hands that is unobtainable from any where else, in any new reel, for the money spent.

New US113: $199.00  Tom's Anti Reverse $65.00  = $264.00  

www.srmo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=P00922&Category_Code=PENN

Show me a new reel with the same line capacity, Castabilty, drag performance, bomb proof durability for this price or even close.  It very simply doesn't exist... Jeff

EDIT: As a side note.  The Tern has yet to be a proven platform. It certainly looks like a winner. However with it's lite build & thin gears one has to question it's long term durability when used with lines above 50 lb. Time will tell... Jeff

Darin Crofton

So great that they brought this back. Is Tom's bridge assembly the only upgrades this reel needs?
Is there a drag upgrade for it? I figure you can put a better knob/grip on it too.
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Ron Jones

I fished two of these in Mexico. Neither of them on big fish, but I was happy to know that all the strength was there. As far as smoothness, it was like silk and this reel is on my list. Unfortunately, its a long list.
The Man
Ronald Jones
"

Rivverrat

Daron, it's the only upgrade readily available. They really dont need drag upgrades. I'm going to work on a longer handle this winter. A bigger knob of your choosing is always a good thing when using line 50 & with a reel having one gear... Jeff