Mitchell 300 question

Started by Bill B, November 19, 2016, 04:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Recently I serviced my 300 and upon re-assembly all seemed to work fine until I cast....

Then the gear train locked up and I shredded the oscillator gear...Fred was generous and sent another gear....I put the new gear in and all seemed fine but soon as I cast the gears locked up again. 

Disassembled the reel and found the oscillator plate had slipped and was on top of the oscillator guide plate...The casting motion dislodges the oscillator plate...

Did some trial and error and discovered the main gear was not putting enough pressure on the oscillator gear, but if I omitted the red spacer that is between the body and gear plate, which measures .025" thick, enough pressure is applied to prevent the oscillator from lifting.....So can I use this reel without the red spacer?   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

foakes

Hi Bill --

The spacers and shims are necessary for the proper operation and meshing of the internals in these Mitchell 300s.

As you have done, experimentation is needed -- and shims added as the reel has worn.

Spacer washers are also necessary to prevent premature wear & insure all parts mesh properly and smoothly.

Don't think a spacer would cause the oscillation or slide fear to pop out of place when casting.  Likely an assembly or weird wear issue.

Glad to help and report back -- if you want to send the reel down my way, if you are tired of messing with it.

Reid did an outstanding tutorial on one of these a few years ago -- you probably have seen it -- but I will try to locate and link it to this post so others may take a look.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bill B

Thank you for the input.....I have some brass flat stock and will make a shim for the main gear....and will then re-install the spacer/gasket that goes between the body and gear plate...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!