Drag Fade

Started by Rivverrat, November 20, 2016, 07:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Still...

Interesting.

I think that the gear sleeve, and gear will be the first to accept the heat generated in the stack.

I don't think I would be too concerned about SS or even Delron holding too much heat.  It may be more important to look at the expansion rate / size of the materials to ensure there is adequete clearance to avoid binding when 'hot'.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

sometimes it gets hot enough just like this youtube video;

Bryan Young

Quote from: Tightlines666 on November 21, 2016, 10:55:19 PM
Still...

Interesting.

I think that the gear sleeve, and gear will be the first to accept the heat generated in the stack.

I don't think I would be too concerned about SS or even Delron holding too much heat.  It may be more important to look at the expansion rate / size of the materials to ensure there is adequete clearance to avoid binding when 'hot'.
Good point. Maybe that is why the loose tolerances.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Indyfisher

Quote from: Tightlines666 on November 21, 2016, 10:55:19 PM
Still...

Interesting.

I think you're right. If you look at Sal's picture where the most heat is generated in both sets of gearing, it is by the gear. And a 17 degree temperature difference using the thinner walled gear.

thorhammer

of attacking cats, I believe the world record blue was caught near me on a stock 309...so I don't think you need a Cal's blueprint for catfishing...

Indyfisher

Quote from: thorhammer on November 22, 2016, 03:43:07 AM
of attacking cats, I believe the world record blue was caught near me on a stock 309...so I don't think you need a Cal's blueprint for catfishing...
I was thinking a penn 209 or 7000 ambassadeur would be more than enough for any American cat.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

OP Maybe a 30VSX, if you have decided to buy penn, is more suited for your target specie but you should also consider the MAK20/30 regular or SEa...my 2 cents.

Indyfisher

How are the numbers affected while attached to a rod in arc? A lot of variables to test. If you're looking for a shark reel at least a 6/0 sized reel for line capacity.

rippin_lips

You guys may be overthinking the issue of heat transfer and drag fade.  Increase your drag performance in terms of working loads and match your gear accordingly.  Stop the fish from running fast and long and you wont heat up your drag to that point.  As an engineer I find some of this intriguing, but this is fishing after all just stop the fish.

Indyfisher

Quote from: rippin_lips on November 22, 2016, 05:19:03 PM
You guys may be overthinking the issue of heat transfer and drag fade.  Increase your drag performance in terms of working loads and match your gear accordingly.  Stop the fish from running fast and long and you wont heat up your drag to that point.  As an engineer I find some of this intriguing, but this is fishing after all just stop the fish.
True but it's still fun and things like this are the essence of the site. Sometimes you can't just stop a fish, if it's pulling  the same at 40 pounds of drag than it did at 20 pounds how do you stop the run?

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Stop the fish from running fast and long
shoot it?  ;D :D ;) :)

But seriously sometimes we need to discuss things and from these discussions I learn new stuff and hopefully so do others.

Indyfisher

Quote from: Potiguar - AKA MeL B on November 22, 2016, 06:10:03 PM
Stop the fish from running fast and long
shoot it?  ;D :D ;) :)

But seriously sometimes we need to discuss things and from these discussions I learn new stuff and hopefully so do others.
;D

rippin_lips

I totally understand the discussion and I'm more than happy to add what I know about heat transfer and engineering.  The question was drag fade in terms of drag washers heating up.  Even if you somehow increased the efficiency of heat transfer from the drag washers, the washers are still producing the heat and will continue to get hot until you remove the conditions making them heat up.  The nature of friction at high speeds is that it produces heat, increasing the heat transfer will not cool them down until after they slow down.  So you will still need to stop the fish, which is why I said to increase performance in terms of working loads.

RowdyW

As the saying goes "Don't take a knife to a gun fight" or just use a bigger gun.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: rippin_lips on November 22, 2016, 06:33:35 PM
I totally understand the discussion and I'm more than happy to add what I know about heat transfer and engineering.  The question was drag fade in terms of drag washers heating up.  Even if you somehow increased the efficiency of heat transfer from the drag washers, the washers are still producing the heat and will continue to get hot until you remove the conditions making them heat up.  The nature of friction at high speeds is that it produces heat, increasing the heat transfer will not cool them down until after they slow down.  So you will still need to stop the fish, which is why I said to increase performance in terms of working loads.

now we're talking, this is what i want to read, thanks and tight lines!