My Catfish Gear

Started by Rivverrat, November 24, 2016, 02:14:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

This was a pm I sent to Indyfisher copied & pasted. He wanted to know about 60 - 80 lb. class cat reels. pics will come later....Jeff

"Daron, I'm completely set up for cat reels. I have what I think are the best reels for the money for 20 30 50 60 & 80 lb. line. 3 combos for each of these line classes for catfish.  
This reel would be for sharks. I'm looking for small to midsize shark reels....Jeff "

What are your current combos in the 60 and 80lb line class?

"CLIPPED"

I didnt want to clutter up the Drag Fade thread.  

I always thought for catfish the Avet HX Raptor would make a fine super heavy reel for Cats & with the narrow & standard version. But dang it already!!... Buying 6 of them or 3 is pretty darned expensive. Also I wanted something that was lighter & fit my hands.

Long story short I bought an Andros 12 11. Fished it for one whole summer. What I very quickly relized was this reel will fish the same at 15 lbs. of drag as it will at 20 lbs.
At least thats what I seem to be feeling when I crank the handle. Also this reel seems to have no big trouble going to 25 lbs on occasion.

My reasoning with this is I dont believe I need a full fledged all out 60 - 80 lb. class reel. What I need is a reel that will fish the drag levels used for those lines when the need arises with out having to run for a Penn International size reel. Also catfish dont pull like tuna or near as long a time. The Andros seems able to fish the higher drag settings a bit easier than some other reels in its class. It is cheaper but still very good quality with a great warranty & parts are easy to get with a phone call.

I have 3 andros 12's. 2 regular size & one new 1211N size. The 12N just might become the reel in my hand the most. It is a tighter feeling reel than my other 2. Seem to be able to feel a bit of resistance in the handle above 20 lbs. of drag. It's not much.   It's not like on some other lever drag reels when you begin to push them.

Im using Ande Monster 60 lb. This line is just a small bit bigger than equevalint Big Game but its stronger & more abrasion resistant & no issue fishing it at 25 lbs. of drag should the need arise. While in my hands I fish these reels around 15 lbs. drag. Big reason....   I'm an airhead....  dont want my reel jerked from hands cause I wasnt paying attention. 2nd reason with these lever drags it's just so easy to make adjustments. So unless they are in a holder with a leash or staked to the ground thats how I fish them.

Ive a Baja & US113 with Tom's new anti reverse that will fish a smooth 25 lbs. drag full spool or more with a 1/2 filled spool. Which is how I fish them. Again while this reel doesnt meet the hard definition of a true 80 lb. reel I believe it will work well for soaking baits at this level for me. With Toms anti reverse this reel is no longer the weak link in my sysytem it once was.

Rods I've still some St. Croix Classic cat rods that I use most days when fishing open water. They are not made any more. St. Croix's replacement the Mojo Cat is in no way the same rod.
For fishing big baits around any structure or when I know big fish may be near I've grown very attached to United Composites Challenger Platinum CP70HP 50 - 80. It's not  super light. Some who use this blank for Wahoo fish it as a heavy 50. A lot of folks whove fished it agree its sweet spot is 60 lb. line. However after talking with Randy at UC he believed I had the rod for my desired use.
I found after some testing this blank will haul 25 lbs. off the floor with out bottoming out. When doing this the fast taper dissappears & the rod takes on a beautiful bend that flexes down just above the handle a little bit.   Blank transitions from carbon to glass like the Calstars. This blank has more stored energy than any Ive used in the past.   It will toss any amount of weight one is able to throw.   I am sure this blank will not find favor with many Catmen. It does not have the super soft tip that has been said OVER & OVER that any true catman must possess if he wishes to do well with any rod used for cats.....UTTER NONSENSE ....Well there you have it....Jeff  

Bill B

Jeff I would like to apologize since we took your original post way out to left field.....in readin,h this post you have good experience fishing for they river cats and have a good handle on what works in the scenario.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

MarkT

How big are the catfish you're going for? I've caught 20-30# blues on 12# with no problem in a lake without much structure.  Lake record catfish was over 70#, 19# LMB,  before golden algae moved in and killed all the fish.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Rivverrat

Oh no...no need for apology. Was glad to see that all get started & I hope it continues. Didnt want to clutter it up or have this get in the way...I sincerely mean that.

Biggest cat to date has been an 83 lb. blue. Fishing lakes for lake cats vs those  that swim the bigger rivers is a much different thing all together. As Ive stated before Ive been spooled using 40 lb. line @ 13 lbs. drag on a 7000. Im sure current played a part in 2 of those cases. One it did not. There are Flahead over a hundred lbs. in the water I fish.Of course not in any great number of individual fish that size. I know they are there I have visually seen them.

It's really amazing what a person can see & learn when they sit statue like for hours focused on the "RIGHT" water in front of them.

Not to long ago...though I guess it was... I spent all my spare time on the river.
Going to & from work to return to the river.
During this time or there  about I traded a box of wadcutter 38 target ammo that I handloaded for a Penn 309.
That Penn worked when covered with sand or mud & when it didnt a quick slosh & swish about in the river seem to make it start acting right. That levelvwind thingy kept giving me problems & Id seen fellas in some magizines using big reels with out any thingy going back & forth....they were after big ones I was after big ones .....So there might be something to fishing with out that thingy going back & forth....Besides I wanted at the time to be more like them.
While that Penn worked better in those conditions than my other stuff it lacked the guts to getum turned & out of some places.
My other rigs only worked well with lighter line.
So that started once again my search for better Catfish gear.
People catch cats on Snoopy poles & weiners...ultra light cane poles,  & other such stuff.
   Then theyll swear out loud its all any one needs for cats. When this happens Ive learned to smile & just nod....not in arrogance... but in the realization this way, has in fact worked for them & for the most part they appear happy.
Im not just always fishing to fish. Im after THAT ONE FISH. Oh I still enjoy each & every time Im out. Some times maybe to much.

I still wonder at times is this gear enough if this or that happens.
My attempt with my present gear was to have something reasonably strong that would work in most of the scenarios I fish while chasing my dream of a record Cat. But yet not be so overly large as to be a burden to use....I have reason to doubt my present gear & reason to be assured by it.

Time will give its answer....Jeff

Shark Hunter

Jeff,
PM your address. I want to send you a stock 114H. Compliments of Alantani.com.
My only requirement is that you fish it.
Big Cats or sharks. You need this reel in your arsenal.
Daron
Life is Good!

Rivverrat

Daron, are you serious ?

I mean this is a strange thing I just had some one else ask if Id be up for testing some stuff that needed a 114. Believe me its  not any thing destructive.

You dont know how much of a gift that would be right now....I really dont know what to say other than I'll pm you my address & thanks !....  Jeff

Shark Hunter

I'm very Serious Jeff. It will be no trophy showcase, but a get it done 114H. I buy them now and then that someone takes apart and can't get back together. This is the latest. It came in a bag. I had no problem putting it together.
I will upgrade the stack to a modern carbon fiber 5 stack. The rest is up to you.
Life is Good!

Bill B

COOL BEANS..... ;D.....now I believe Jeff is down river from me so I may have to stop by to make sure he is using it  ::) and bring a pole along for company  :D.  Bill

Shark Hunter

I have been trying to get Jeff to fish a 114H since day one.
I will go through it and put a new stack in and send it to him free of charge.
Just another perk of Alantani.com.
My only requirement is that he fishes it Hard, Show no Mercy.
I can only hope he pulls a Giant Cat from the depths with this reel.
Bone stock, this reel is a powerhouse. ;)
Life is Good!

mo65

Way ta go Daron! And Jeff...I've been looking at 114Hs myself as that "record class" catfish weapon...can't wait to see this one progress. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

steelfish

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 24, 2016, 09:52:13 AM
I have been trying to get Jeff to fish a 114H since day one.
I will go through it and put a new stack in and send it to him free of charge.
Just another perk of Alantani.com.

awesome move Daron

Jeff, 114h is a really nice platform to make a killer machine.
Im not in a hurry but I have in my plans to build a 114h narrow with the SS upgrades offered in this forum, it would a nice reel to go for the big groupers, not much line needed since they are not that deep and the game plan is not to give them any line.

The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

Dang Daron, that reel will work just fine. That 5 stack I think puts out an honest 25 lbs. @ full spool....Is this correct ?    If so once I get around the appropriate simpler mods this reel filled below 1/2 will produce more drag than I'd "EVER" need. Wow! Now I gotta go do a refresher course on the Penn 114....Jeff

thorhammer

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 24, 2016, 07:33:35 AM
Jeff,
PM your address. I want to send you a stock 114H. Compliments of Alantani.com.
My only requirement is that you fish it.
Big Cats or sharks. You need this reel in your arsenal.
Daron

Good onya. Karma.

Bill B

Of course if we really want to test it, there are 300 lb white sturgeon lurking in the deeper holes.... ::). Bill

Rivverrat

Quote from: TARFU on November 24, 2016, 07:28:14 PM
Of course if we really want to test it, there are 300 lb white sturgeon lurking in the deeper holes.... ::). Bill
My understanding is this reel will work for sharks that size....Jeff