My Catfish Gear

Started by Rivverrat, November 24, 2016, 02:14:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurt locker

The reel that i use for Big Bluecats is the Shimano Triton 300. Uses 6#113H drag plates and can easily be set up for a 5 stack using Smoothdrags 113h Kit. My biggest was 100.4 lbs and 12lbs of drag on a strong incoming tide and the reel never took a deep breath. Plenty of line capacity to spare using 40lb test and a 60lb fluro leader. Just my opinion as I am not a proponent of the use of monster gear. We had one break us off in a pier last week about 40 feet up from the hook after he went around structure. But that will happen when you cast right into it.

Rivverrat

The Triton 300 is a pretty good reel. Like your self I'm not a big fan of going all out River Monster for cats regarding the gear I use. While this reel will be primarily for sharks under the circumstances of recieving this reel I will gladly be using it to pitch 2 lb. plus bullhead up close to log piles  & bridge pilings....Jeff

hurt locker

That will work. Enjoy the new reel and hook up a Big one.

ChileRelleno

Nice throw down Daron.
I know what the 114 can do, I've caught Hammerheads and other sharks up to 8'-9' on one.
If it can handle hard and fast running sharks like Hammers, it can handle any cat.

Scalloped Hammerhead, adult male
8-9' TL, 6-7' FL
approx 200# +
Rod: Master Custom Striker, 80#, 6'6"
Reel: Penn Senator 6/0 114H
Caught on a whole mullet

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Shark Hunter

Just trying to put the right tool in Jeff's hands.
I have preached to him long enough.
Okuma's, Avet's and other two speeds seem to be the choice.
Not for me. This reel will bring up what he is after.
Me and Jeff have a few things in common. ;)
Life is Good!

Rivverrat

ChileRelleno,  I like that pic. Since I was just a little fella I remeber being intrigued with sharks....Jeff

Shark Hunter

I opened up the reel I was going to send and the clicker was rusted off. :-\
I pulled another out of inventory and put a new stack in, replaced he spool, and greased it up.
Fresh 5 Stack, Bronze Main Gear.
This reel is ready for battle Jeff.
It only weighs four pounds. ;)
True Senator Quality. From me to you Brother. ;D
Life is Good!

Rivverrat

A 4 lb. fishing reel  ;D....   If not a record cat I'm sure I will hook my first shark on it. Once Again, Thanks,Daron....Jeff

Rivverrat

Came today....it's a freaking monsterof a reel ;D
I'm going to fill it with cheap Walmart line just for grins just to see how far I can toss it. I do have rods that match up very well with this beast.

Alto Mare

Daron most have kept busy the last few days, I also received a box from him today loaded with goodies :)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Enjoy it Jeff. I have wanted to put this reel in your hands for a while.
It is bone stock down to the brass dog spring. 5 Stack with Bronze main. Fully Serviced, Good to go.
I want to see the Cat you haul in with this. ;)
Life is Good!

Rivverrat

I can tell by the sound of the dog & feel of the handle when cranking it you've seviced it. Penn's just have that certain twang & roll to them when they've been recently gone through. Maybe its all in my head but I dont think so.

I'll use it for cats but what Im realky looking forward to is sitting on the beach sending out 2 &
4 lb. Chunks of meat with my RC Helo & waiting for a shark....Thanks, Jeff

spc7669

Wow Daron, you are a credit to the site! I owe too many folks here for doing things that are above and beyond just kindness. Kudos my man!

steelfish

now I really would like to see some of your catfish catchs

you need a baja special upgrade
a 114h
an andros 2-s

just for the cats wow
The Baja Guy

mo65

Quote from: Rivverrat on November 29, 2016, 01:39:40 AM
I can tell by the sound of the dog & feel of the handle when cranking it you've serviced it. Penn's just have that certain twang & roll to them when they've been recently gone through. Maybe its all in my head but I don't think so.

I agree Jeff...I can tell too.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~