My Catfish Gear

Started by Rivverrat, November 24, 2016, 02:14:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

humboldtdan

You guys are awesome.  Best site and people on the Net by far.  Y'all give me hope for humanity.  We sure need it these days.

thorhammer

You said a mouthful right there brother.

Indyfisher

Awesome Jeff, Daron hooked you up. That's what makes this site special, the people on it.

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 29, 2016, 12:46:16 AM
Daron most have kept busy the last few days, I also received a box from him today loaded with goodies :)
I did also.  Early Christmas present from Daron.  Sal we should make him an honorary Italian.  Then we can call himPaisano.  :-*  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Rivverrat

Quote from: Dominick on November 30, 2016, 09:55:05 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on November 29, 2016, 12:46:16 AM

Sal we should make him an honorary Italian.  Then we can call himPaisano.  :-*  Dominick
This just busted me up out loud. Believe me, I needed a good laugh today....Jeff

theswimmer

Jeff ,
whats the general area where you are at?
I spent summers divided between Lake Almanor and on the Sac around Hamilton City.
There are some BIG fish in the Mighty Sac.....
Best,
JT
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Rivverrat

Quote from: Indyfisher on November 30, 2016, 08:11:36 PM
Awesome Jeff, Daron hooked you up. That's what makes this site special, the people on it.
Yes he did. It has been a long while since I've last had a Penn 6/0 in my hands. This is a pretty cool reel. The agreement is I use it for my catfishing. I'm going to keep my eyes open for a bargain on an aluminum spool & at some point get a stainless sleeve. This reel will primarily be for sharks however for cat fishing I will use it for large live bait & I'm thinking fill it only partially. I'm thinking I can lob a bait out as close as I'm fishing a spot at times. One of the best surprise gifts I've received in some time....Jeff

Rivverrat

Quote from: theswimmer on November 30, 2016, 10:18:41 PM
Jeff ,
whats the general area where you are at?

JT
I'm in Kansas. We have 2 of the most fantastic rivers here for cats. Being the Kaw or Kansas River being the same & the Missouri River. Two very different rivers but among some of the best water for big cats in our nation.

mo65

Quote from: Rivverrat on November 30, 2016, 10:29:39 PM
I'm in Kansas. We have 2 of the most fantastic rivers here for cats. Being the Kaw or Kansas River being the same & the Missouri River. Two very different rivers but among some of the best water for big cats in our nation.

I've always enjoyed shows and articles about catfishing Kansas...top notch rivers. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rivverrat

Quote from: steelfish on November 29, 2016, 02:41:33 AM
now I really would like to see some of your catfish catchs

you need a baja special upgrade
a 114h
an andros 2-s

just for the cats wow

I've 2 a baja & US113 with Tom's upgrade. Also I dont know how I forgot 3 of my reels that have been my every day reels for some time now. Those being my 3 star drag 25N's. I have thought many times about getting rid of them. Spoke with John T. here about it. However they fill a spot that I believe every serious cat fisherman needs that being reels for 40 lb. class line. They make 15 lbs. of smooth drag & cast like a dream, getting parts is never an issue. These reels have never given me much trouble at all. They are keepers....Jeff  

Rivverrat

Quote from: mo65 on November 29, 2016, 01:49:43 PM
Quote from: Rivverrat on November 29, 2016, 01:39:40 AM
I can tell by the sound of the dog & feel of the handle when cranking it you've serviced it. Penn's just have that certain twang & roll to them when they've been recently gone through. Maybe its all in my head but I don't think so.

I agree Jeff...I can tell too.
Just saw your post...I can now show my X wife... "See I'm not crazy"

Rivverrat

Quote from: mo65 on November 30, 2016, 10:59:55 PM
Quote from: Rivverrat on November 30, 2016, 10:29:39 PM

I've always enjoyed shows and articles about catfishing Kansas...top notch rivers. 8)
They really are. Ive fished other places & was surpised how much work it was to get a decent fish. Probably my not being as familiar as I am with my home rivers played a part....Jeff

Three se7ens

Jeff is about to need a frame for that 114H Daron sent him.  Im sending him an insert drag kit with one of the very first prototypes of a new drag washer material.  If he can hook it, this reel will drag it in. 

Tiddlerbasher

"a new drag washer material" not cf then :-\
I'm intrigued :)

I have successfully used a Kevlar variant (looks like stiff cardboard)
Its currently installed in the drag system of my linewinder, some spinners and an Andros.

Rivverrat

Words fail here....I really love testing this stuff. It allows me to see, touch, experience stuff I would not otherwise. It's also great to be intrusted with the great work that some of these fellas here are very capable of putting out. Really quite intriguing for me to see ideas put forth & be made to come alive in the form of a working part by the hands of some of the skilled fellas here....What a great place....Jeff