Handles with letter designations

Started by basto, November 23, 2016, 08:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

I have a 155 that has the letter B stamped on the inside of the handle blade. Is this for Beachmaster?
thanks
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Bill B

Basto, i believe the "B" stamped on your handle is the type or style of the handle....this link will take you to Scott's Bait and Tackle with a description of the handle types literally A to Z and a list of what they will fit....according to the gear sleeve....Bill

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Handles.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

basto

Hi Bill
Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated.
Greg

basto

Hi again Bill
Just looked on Scotts and it says it is an "A" type handle
I have this B on the handle of my 259 also.
cheers
Greg

Bill B

Hmmmm....and I thought I had this nailed  :P.....sorry to mislead you brother....hopefully someone will clear this up for us....Bill

RowdyW

Maybe someone stamped it with their inital to tell it from others in a group on a pier or boat. Other then that I don't think it means anything.

sdlehr

Quote from: RowdyW on November 25, 2016, 11:30:15 PM
Maybe someone stamped it with their inital to tell it from others in a group on a pier or boat. Other then that I don't think it means anything.
Don't think so Rudy, I've seen this before - pretty sure I have one, but I'm not home to be able to check.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Bill B

I have a few reels, usually the older ones with a letter stamp, and ####-u-me-d   >:(    this was the Penn Letter designation......back to the drawing board....Bill

Penn Chronology

I someone figures out what the "B" means I will be happy. I have never known and always wondered about it.

sdlehr

Can we get some pictures of more handles with this "B" designation? How about other letter designations that anyone may have lying on their bench or in their collection? Maybe we can put our heads together and figure out the logic here and make Mike happy before Christmas :)

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Bryan Young

It stands for Bryan. The greatest wanna be fisherman in the world. 😂😂😂😂😂
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mizmo67

Quote from: TARFU on November 25, 2016, 10:18:42 PM
Basto, i believe the "B" stamped on your handle is the type or style of the handle....this link will take you to Scott's Bait and Tackle with a description of the handle types literally A to Z and a list of what they will fit....according to the gear sleeve....Bill

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Handles.aspx

Bill...our handle types are OUR work, not Penn's
We had so many people asking about swapping handles that we made a compatibility table and chose to assign letters for the different types/shapes.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Bill B

Mo thank you for the clarification, this closes one part of this mystery, now off to check my other reels......Bill

basto

I should mention the two reels I have with the B are both 24-155 handles. One on a 259 long beach and the other on a 155 Beachmaster.
Basto

Bill B

I checked some of my reels, will be able to check the rest when I return to Sacramento, results are as follows:

2 Jigmaster 500, first generation have 24-66 handles with no letter designation
1 259 live bait caster has 24-155 with a "S" designation

No power handles have a letter designation, which include 113 Senator (posts), 112H, 113H (half frame), 114HLW (full frame), 49 Deep Sea.

What I can conclude so far:
The JM's are early first generation which started in 1959, denoted by the plastic maroon spools, maroon side plates and posts (no spacer bars)
The 259 ended in 1957, so it is a 1957 or older model

I will be able to check a Squidder 140, Surfmaster 200, Beachmaster 155, Delmar 285, and 349, when I return.....Bill