Handles with letter designations

Started by basto, November 23, 2016, 08:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Quote from: TARFU on November 26, 2016, 09:45:08 PM
I checked some of my reels, will be able to check the rest when I return to Sacramento, results are as follows:

2 Jigmaster 500, first generation have 24-66 handles with no letter designation
1 259 live bait caster has 24-155 with a "S" designation

No power handles have a letter designation, which include 113 Senator (posts), 112H, 113H (half frame), 114HLW (full frame), 49 Deep Sea.

What I can conclude so far:
The JM's are early first generation which started in 1959, denoted by the plastic maroon spools, maroon side plates and posts (no spacer bars)
The 259 ended in 1957, so it is a 1957 or older model

I will be able to check a Squidder 140, Surfmaster 200, Beachmaster 155, Delmar 285, and 349, when I return.....Bill

I don't want to double post, but I did put up my take on the "B" handles here, then Sid moved the conversation to the 155 thread where nobody is seeing this same discussion

That's where you will find my reply to this thread that was originally on this page.....geeesh :D :D

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Penn Chronology

Since Ted does not want to double post, I will do it for him.

QuoteMike, Sid & Basto, here is my take: These handles were the very beginning of the new part number system and stamping numbers onto the part(Late 1940's era). I've seen dozens of the B or S stamped handles and one thing I found they all had in common was 1949-1950 era, and the "tumbled" finish. Those B handles can be found on the less expensive Penns like long beach, Delmar, 155, some 259's and a few others. I've yet to find a B handle on a small senator from same era, and I've yet to find a polished handle with the B stamping.

I may be all wrong, and in that case, please forget I ever mentioned anything Grin Grin

Interesting thoughts on a fairly impossible question. If I can ever prove you wrong, I will forget you ever said anything! ;D

George4741

My Sea Ford has a "V" stamped on the counterweight and twice in the reel foot.   I initially thought it was how one of the tackle rental shops identified their reels. ???

viurem lliures o morirem

Penn Chronology

QuoteMy Sea Ford has a "V" stamped on the counterweight and twice in the reel foot.   I initially thought it was how one of the tackle rental shops identified their reels. Huh?

That could be the answer. So many Penn reels got marked up. I think it was a habit brought over from the Depression. Marking your tools was like putting a brand on them. I suspect many people did that.

JRD

So here is a 24-160 off of a surfmaster 100 with an "S"