Boat Owner: The happiest day of my life

Started by David Hall, November 26, 2016, 03:56:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

Today it finally happened, I sold my boat!  Not the one I've been dumping all my money into the past 6 years but my first boat.  " Wet Willy" ,  I bought it shortly after I caught my first Albacore.  My fishing partner and I split the cost and then he got married and never went fishing with me again so I bought out his half.  We enjoyed many trips out on the bay and beyond searching for albies, salmon, rock fish and crab.  When the boat of my dreams popped up Willy went into storage and has languished there year after year.  Three young men from Folsom, brothers came down and made me an offer I couldn't refuse and so today I am happy to see Willy go to a new home where it will get lots of love and attention.
And I no longer have to write out a check for the storage bill every month!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

RowdyW

I heard that the second happiest day is when you buy your boat & the happiest day is the day you sell it.

David Hall

I'm a glutton for punishment I had two boats!  now I'm down to just one!.

FatTuna

I sold my boat this year as well. Couldn't have been happier with what I got for it. It was a long and arduous process. A lot of tire kickers out there. You get these guys that want you to jump through hoops; yet, they have no real interest in buying. They want to go for multiple test drives. They want all these people to look at it. They exaggerate issues to try and get it super cheap. I spent half my summer showing people the boat.

I had this one guy that that showed up and I think he just wanted me to show him how to operate it. Thought he could get free lessons just going around looking at boats. Kept asking me questions on how to drive it and then left saying he already was purchasing another..... 

I had another guy that committed to buying it and then showed up with half the money. Said he wanted to put a down payment down and use it for three weeks until he had the rest of the money!

I literally ended up getting rid of it a week before it was scheduled to be hauled. Now I don't have to pay for winter storage!

David Hall

I took mine off the market 4 years ago because I was sick amd tired of low ballers.  That's when the used boat market crashed and good used  boats were going for cheap.  I decided if I couldn't get a fair price I'd just keep it forever as a second boat, but then I didn't keep up the maintenance and it sat in the yard.  These three young brothers heard about it from a friend, Called me then drove 4hrs to see it,  after meeting them and talking with them I decided the price was no longer important to me and I wanted them to have the boat so I took a financial hit just to see their smiling faces as they drove away with it.  They got their work cut out for them.  It's going to take a lot of work to make it seaworthy again but they seemed up for it and I stopped the bleeding.

FatTuna

I ended up getting fed up and hiring a broker. He got rid of the boat in a few weeks. Previously, I had been trying to sell it for about a year and a half. I had to give the broker 10%. He got more than I felt the boat was worth so it all evened out in the end. The next time I sell a boat I'm going to hire a broker right away. No hassle.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Mine too!

Rancanfish

I just got finished showing my BW Outrage to an aquaintance a 1/2 hour ago.

Unadvertised.  He's been asking for years.

We'll see.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Dominick

Nice boat Randy.  Is there room to walk around the big box-like appendage at the rear of the deck?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

That's a nice sled David.

Yes, I need to get mine sold.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Long Enuff

Broker is definitely the way to go. Even with their cut, you come out way ahead. They make sure the boat is ready to show, get top dollar for it, weed out all of the tire kickers and handle all of the paperwork.  When I sold mine with a broker years ago, I couldn't have been happier. Most boat dealerships, and some outboard service centers, provide this service.

David Hall

That was the last one I will ever sell!  When I'm gone my son can have the "Long Hall".
I'm going to have to get him involved in this site so he can maintain all the gear and the boat after I'm gone to the great fishing grounds in the sky. 

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Dominick on November 27, 2016, 09:52:55 PM
Nice boat Randy.  Is there room to walk around the big box-like appendage at the rear of the deck?  Dominick

Thanks Dominick.  I think that there is approximately 18" on each side of the engine box, so it's easy to get to the corners, but the box runs all of the way to the transom, so you have to step up on it if you want to get from one corner to the other without walking around it.

Randy