Penn Intnl 50s problem

Started by steelfish, November 28, 2016, 08:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

this is my 2nd time servicing a penn intnl 50 reel, first was a 50-II and everything was smooth, just a cleaning and lubing service.

but I have this 50s reel that have the problems with the handle, its stuck and dont move at all, also the drag preset screw (knob) dont move forward or backwards, the drag lever moves freely all the way for the max to free-spool.

according to my previous time and to Alan posts, I just have to push the plunger pin to free the gear assembly, but I cannot push it down like it should (pretty sure its the culprit), so, my question is.

does this had happened to any of you guys before?
should I just give that plunger a good hit to release the gear assembly?
should I use a plier to force the drag set screw to move backwards?
whats the worst damage I could do if I force the drag preset knob and same case with the plunger?

since this is an expensive old reel I dont want to break anything on my fault, I actually give this reel back to the owner but he didnt wanted it back, if you cannot fix it anyone else on the town would do, he said, so got the reel back to try one more time but not just forcing things up

The Baja Guy

thorhammer

John (Tightlines 666) is your guy on this one.

FatTuna

To fix the preset knob, you need to pull off that silver plate (part# 124) and rebuild/clean underneath. Underneath that plate is prone to saltwater intrusion.

If the handle isn't moving it's probably due to corrosion on the gear stud. You'll need to remove the gear stud and gear. Clean and regrease.

If I were you, I'd do a complete overhaul on the reel. Open the spool and check the drag. Grease with Cal's. Separate the drag cam. Check the pins on the cam. Liberally regrease it. Check to make sure the dogs are moving. I'd pull them out and put grease/oil underneath.

steelfish

Quote from: FatTuna on November 28, 2016, 09:12:34 PM
To fix the preset knob, you need to pull off that silver plate (part# 124) and rebuild/clean underneath. Underneath that plate is prone to saltwater intrusion.

well, you are correct, on the 50-II reel I service months ago, I did all that and its my intention to do it on this reel, but I cannot move the preset knob, to take it out and clean the rest of the parts under it, its stuck, so, should I just get a locking pliers and force it?
I was going to do it, But I dont know if I going to damage the CAM under it

Quote from: FatTuna on November 28, 2016, 09:12:34 PM

If the handle isn't moving it's probably due to corrosion on the gear stud. You'll need to remove the gear stud and gear. Clean and regrease.

according to my friend, the reel was working and he was fishing with it when became harder to turn the handle to the point where it doesnt moved at all.
any recomendation on how to remove the gear stud under this situation?

thanks in advance
The Baja Guy

FatTuna

I'd start by removing the handle. Then the side plate. Remove all the screws on that chrome plate. Then I'd try and gently pry it off with a flat head screw driver. Once you manage to get the plate off there should be a slotted washer (part #59) that holds the preset knob on. Once everything is separated you'll be able to clean it well. The drag cam could also be part of the issue. You will need to access that from inside the plate.

In regards to the gears, I'd first inspect the inside. Which model reel is it? 50TW? On a 50TW, I believe you need to remove the three screws that hold a plate on the main gear. Then you remove the gear stud. If the stud is stuck you might have to bang it out. I use a hammer and a wooden dowel. The dowel is so you don't deform the end up the stud. Otherwise the handle might not fit back on.

handi2

Its a 50S 2 speed that has the plunger inside the gear sleeve with 2 pins that hold in. They must be corroded badly. Keep oiling it and trying. It will break free.

The problem rises if the inner race is worn beyond use from corrosion. It will need replacing. Lets hope not.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

TheReelShop

Steelfish for the preset knob you should just be able to remove the 3 screws that hold the plate which the preset knob is attached to. if you cant turn the preset knob or handle then the cam assembly is badly corroded/stuck. if you remove the three screws i mentioned, then the plate and preset knob should pop right off. If its hard then there can be corrosion between the plate and the frame.

steelfish

thanks guys, I will use your ideas on the reel and post my findings

The Baja Guy

josa1

Hi

Thought I would throw my 2 cents in.....

If the handle won't rotate at all I expect the three tiny screws that hold the main gear to the drive shaft have backed out.  The main gear is binding on the inside of the reel.

I would remove the handle, remove the plate that the drag preset knob is attached to, remove the right side plate screws and look at the gear from the inside.  I believe the gear is binding on the pre set apparatus.

I think you'll find the small screws are the problem.  Of course this is just my guess.

Good luck,,,,It's not that hard to solve this problem.  Just hang in there.

josa1

josa1

By the way DON'T force the pre set knob or handle shaft to turn.  This will only damage the reel!

josa1

steelfish

Thanks Josa, those 2 cents sounds like a nice plan
The Baja Guy

josa1

Hi Steelfish,

It's important that you take pictures and post your findings.  At some point in time I'm sure it will help us all out.

Thanks,

josa

Tightlines667

Quote from: josa1 on November 29, 2016, 02:51:56 AM
By the way DON'T force the pre set knob or handle shaft to turn.  This will only damage the reel!

josa1

X2

Sounds like you are on the right track here.

I would pull the handle, then the bridge cover/cam housing (3 screws) right side plate, then the headplate, then the 2 gear retainers, and the drive coupling.  See if you can remove the plunger, and the pins next before push the gear stug through the side plate.   Once you get this stuff apart, then you can remove the cam assembly and start cleaning, polishing/deburring the parts including the cam pocket, and gear stud/drive shaft retainer.  Use some liquid penetrant, heat, and a wooden dowl and/or rubber mallet to apply some persuasion, as needed during dissasembly.

With a little persistance, you should be able to get it done.  Keep us posted on your progress.

P.S.  Sorry I am a bit late to the party on this one, had a busy day.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

steelfish

Thanks John, you're not late, I have some pending reels before the  Intl 50s reel, Im going ti check it out in 2-3 days more
The Baja Guy

josa1

Hi Steelfish,

Just wondering if you had a chance to look at this reel?

josa1