Penn Intnl 50s problem

Started by steelfish, November 28, 2016, 08:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Quote from: steelfish on June 26, 2017, 10:50:19 PM
thanks JOhn for this info

is it the camera angle or its the 30s bridge thicker than the 50s?
pretty sure they should at least be the same but 30s looks thicker than 50s

The 30s (2-speed) bridge pictured above is thicker then the 50 (1-speed) bridge pictured above.  The shop didn't have any 2-speed 50-sized bridges in stock.. probably because the stopped ordering them after we discovered the 30S is the same bridge priced at 60%+ less.  I just wanted to show that the diameter and hole patterns are identical.  I couldn't condirm 100%, because neither myself nor the shop have the 50 bridge. 

Maybe Mauren could check their parts from stock, if she has time?

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

steelfish

ok, Im still Stuck here

I was able to the get the handle and shaft out from the bridge and now they are working, but what until I was installing everything again I did noticed that I never took care of the stuck accentric screw part 143-50, and its stuck of course on the part 141-50 "CAM follower", I did tried yesterday to unscrew it with lots of oil and liquid wrench plus heat from a heat gun, which put the oil almost boiling that it started to drop  from the screw bellow, I though that was the ticket but I just couldnt move at all the screw, tried right turn and left turn but no avail

so, should I heat it more or left the parts swiming in oil for days?
is it reversed threaded or normal threaded?

The Baja Guy

Tightlines667

I checked my parts stock and funny enough, I don't have any cam followers for the 50 left in stock.  I do have pins, the screw, and the cam, along with all of the sub assembly parts for 20, 30, 80, and 130 class reels.  It is standard/lefty-loosy threads.  You may be able to drill it out in a vice grip and buy a screw, or I can mail you one.  Good luck!

Just lmk if I can help here.

John
Hope springs eternal

steelfish

Well, thanks.
Igual already bought The CAM follower and The screw, found them on fleabay at good price, I will get them in a week, hopefully now it Will work and be able todo test it.
I Still havent gotten The 50s bridge until check How it feels with The small nick in The bridge bushing
The Baja Guy

steelfish

as an update to this thread the reel is already finished with new parts on it and ready for some heavy action with 150lb braid on it and topshots as big as needed, not many heavy action in the local waters so, it might not see much action after all ;D ;D, but it will be my dedicated reel for big groupers and sharks.

even got a new 50s bidge so, its ready to fish with confidence, still missing rod clamp kit (screws, clamp and nuts) but its available on scotts, I will get it on my next order.
on of the pictures there is a 30t I serviced from a friend and my 50s both with 150lb braid (big test line for abrasion purposes) when we went shark fishing on a boat, no luck.

The Baja Guy

Tightlines667

Glad to see you got it sorted.  Doing a couple of reels like they should have given you the knowledge, experience, and confidence to crack any International out there.  Don't be afraid of those lever drags.

Maybe your friends will start sending you there reels now?

John
Hope springs eternal

steelfish

Quote from: Tightlines666 on August 23, 2017, 06:48:52 PM
John

John, this is the is the 5th international reel I recieve in my sidejob (night switch, I like to call it), but the first ones where easy to find the problem and to open them up, this one was pretty stuck by corrosion in many parts and I didt wanted to break something trying to force it, but thanks to you and other guys I finally fix it.

there is no much big game off-shore fishing in this latitudes on the north sea of cortez, big game is good on the pacific side of Baja north or even better on Baja South (cabos and La Paz, Bocana, etc), so, not many guys here have this big reels.

they are pretty straigh and have less internal parts than many 2 speed reels I have seen.

The Baja Guy

Tightlines667

Quote from: steelfish on August 23, 2017, 07:05:42 PM
Quote from: Tightlines666 on August 23, 2017, 06:48:52 PM
John

they are pretty straigh and have less internal parts than many 2 speed reels I have seen.

I like the rigged/overbuilt simplicity of these reels, and consider them true workhorses of the big game lever drag family.  They may be a bit heavy, and rough with looser overall tolerances, and a bit probe to water/salt intrusion, but they work.  If serviced semireguarily, they can last decades.  Parts support is good overall as well. 

John
Hope springs eternal