975cs

Started by mrbrklyn, November 28, 2016, 11:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrklyn

Well,

I have a question about the Penn 975 cs

How do you keep the button from failing.  I just had to send it back to penn, but that button mechanism seems to be a big nuisance from it suddening engaging on the cast to it locking up and not coming loose.  I took it home and tried to clean it, after on 3 months, and it locked up on me, which is why I sent it back.  The mechanism is so obviously a problem and I was told this by almost every experienced fisherman on the docks when I first pick it up.  I'm reading the reviews on Penns sight about folks using them for a decade without repair, and I'm in disbelief.  There is no way this button mechanism works for years without serous maintenance. 

Penn

There very tiny springs under the button that don't like any sand or salt touching them.  A few drops of PENN oil on the springs once or twice a season will help keep everything running normal.  When did you send the reel in?  PM me your Name I will look for your order.

tony

foakes

Excellent service on handling that so swiftly, Tony --

You and Penn are greatly appreciated!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tunanorth

Quote from: mrbrklyn on December 08, 2016, 10:57:21 PM
It arrived back two days ago, in a record turn around time.  I do appreciate it.  I still, however, don't understand why this button mechanism which is so difficult, is not changed to something more reliable.

This is a 20-plus year old design, and has been discontinued in the 2016-17 catalogue, with no direct replacement model.