Big Brother/Little Brother -- Match Pair -- Deadly Arsenal

Started by foakes, November 29, 2016, 03:58:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

A couple of members wanted a Dam Quick 221 high speed.

So I built two using mostly New Old Stock parts.

Then, another member decided to go with a 221 also -- however, he also wanted a matching little 110 Microlite.

Made him a good deal on a pair that I built out today and yesterday.

These are the same series of reels -- just different sizes -- so they make a good combo.

Spooled the 221 with 8lb. Trilene XT, and the 110 with 4lb. Trilene XT.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Aiala

Fred, are the DQ 221 and 110 the approximate sizes, respectively, of the Mitchell 300 and 308?  :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

foakes

Quote from: Aiala on November 29, 2016, 03:01:47 PM
Fred, are the DQ 221 and 110 the approximate sizes, respectively, of the Mitchell 300 and 308?  :)

~A~

Yes, Aiala -- good observation -- they are the same sizes respectively.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Newell Nut

steelhead_killer

Fred,

Found some background info on the DAM Quick reel line over the years:  http://home.kpn.nl/roland.lindenberh/index.html  I had no idea that they made some many different models. 

Andy
><)))">

foakes

Thanks for sharing that, Andy --

Roland is from the Netherlands, and is to D.A.M. Quick what Mike Cacioppo is to our beloved Penns -- an expert's expert -- and an authoritative researcher and archivist.

Probably the foremost expert in the world on the D.A.M. Quick History and products.

I have provided him rare parts for some of the earlier models such as the Junior 238 with the heart shaped maroon body.

Around 10 years ago, I restored, serviced, and provided parts for his most prized reel -- an extremely rare Mo. 260 which has the Quick-O-Mat line counter built into the sideplate.

The mechanisim on this reel and line counter, is similar in complexity and engineering craftsmanship -- to a vintage German timepiece.

I had the parts he needed, and after he sent it over from Denmark -- this pic below is how it turned out.

It was an honor and pleasure to restore this vintage and historical reel.

I believe the vintage on this is 1953.

Bone stock, lots of German Silver, two opposite wound bail springs, operation is amazing.  The tolerances engineered into these reels only offer a couple of Mils of clearance for moving parts.  Even after 60 years -- there is absolutely "0" degradation in any of the mechanical interactions.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Rivverrat

Quote from: foakes on November 29, 2016, 04:37:07 PM
Thanks for sharing that, Andy --

Roland is from the Netherlands, and is to D.A.M. Quick what Mike Cacioppo is to our beloved Penns -- an expert's expert -- and an authoritative researcher and archivist.

Probably the foremost expert in the world on the D.A.M. Quick History and products.

I have provided him rare parts for some of the earlier models such as the Junior 238 with the heart shaped maroon body.

Around 10 years ago, I restored, serviced, and provided parts for his most prized reel -- an extremely rare Mo. 260 which has the Quick-O-Mat line counter built into the sideplate.

The mechanisim on this reel and line counter, is similar in complexity and engineering craftsmanship -- to a vintage German timepiece.

I had the parts he needed, and after he sent it over from Denmark -- this pic below is how it turned out.

It was an honor and pleasure to restore this vintage and historical reel.

I believe the vintage on this is 1953.

Bone stock, lots of German Silver, two opposite wound bail springs, operation is amazing.  The tolerances engineered into these reels only offer a couple of Mils of clearance for moving parts.  Even after 60 years -- there is absolutely "0" degradation in any of the mechanical interactions.

Best,

Fred

Fred, To have another who is known to be with out peir, accepted within a community as an undisputed expert turn to another known expert & trust their work, well....your post here is very much an exclamation point for you & the quality of work that you do. It's great to see you know this for the acheivment & recognition that it is.... Jeff    

STRIPER LOU

Excellent job Fred, actually better than new! Nice work as usual.

.................Lou