349 Master Mariner

Started by Bill B, November 29, 2016, 04:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Tony/Steve, even though the 349 Master Mariner had a relatively short production life, many consider it one of the great Penn reels, however, parts are extremely difficult to come by, oftentimes resorting in scavenging parts from donor reels or paying hefty prices for used parts.....is it possible to make a limited run of commonly worn out parts like the gear sleeves, drag washers, AR dogs.  During a recent rebuild of a 349 HC I was fortunate to be gifted a dog, however these parts are made from "Un-Obtanium" and getting them will only become harder in the future.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Keta

Quote from: TARFU on November 29, 2016, 04:44:28 PM
Tony/Steve, even though the 349 Master Mariner had a relatively short production life, many consider it one of the great Penn reels, however, parts are extremely difficult to come by, oftentimes resorting in scavenging parts from donor reels or paying hefty prices for used parts.....is it possible to make a limited run of commonly worn out parts like the gear sleeves, drag washers, AR dogs.  During a recent rebuild of a 349 HC I was fortunate to be gifted a dog, however these parts are made from "Un-Obtanium" and getting them will only become harder in the future.....Bill

What I find hard to locate are AR dog springs, bearings and spools.

113H gear sleeves are not the same but will work in a 349/349H, Smooth Drag sells a 5 washer set for the 349H with my .045" metal washers.  I can make another cutting of 349 metal washers if there is a need and 113H HT-100 washers work in the 349 gear.  I had .047" 349 metal washers for 3 years so there was not a big demand.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Penn

TARFU,

We pride ourselves in stocking parts as long or longer than any of the other Fishing Manufacturers out there, but there comes in a point in all models where it just wouldn't justify manufacturing parts again and that is if all the tooling is available.  Most of the tooling gets recycled over the years for future projects.  6 members visited our Factory earlier this year, ask anyone of them our Parts Dept. is at capacity!  If I come across any 349 parts I will reach out. 

tony

Keta

Quote from: Penn on November 29, 2016, 06:07:35 PM

If I come across any 349 parts I will reach out. 

tony

Thank you Tony.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

thorhammer

Bill, that was Dom, Sal, Dan and his Dad, and Sid and his wife.

I expect Tony had to get a mop bucket out in Parts when we were done drooling.

Thanks Big T!!

Tunanorth

Should add, when you are checking out Craigs list, Ebay etc, that a "Newell Wahoo Special Conversion" is a 349H with a 500-width base and bars [made by Newell], and of course a wider spool. Even if in poor condition, locating one of those can yield numerous useable parts.

Keta

Quote from: Tunanorth on November 29, 2016, 07:47:13 PM
Should add, when you are checking out Craigs list, Ebay etc, that a "Newell Wahoo Special Conversion" is a 349H with a 500-width base and bars [made by Newell], and of course a wider spool. Even if in poor condition, locating one of those can yield numerous useable parts.

Hey, no Penn aftermarket talk here..... ;D

I have a Newell Wahoo Special  in my 349 colection, and a lefthand standard width 349H.  Tib made a small run of aluminum stock width spools but are verry hard to find but they make the old reels much liter. The 501 crossbars fit a 349.

Mark Twain

Vintage Offshore Tackle

If anyone is looking for stock 349H or HC Penns, or Newell/Penn Wahoo Specials or Newell narrow aluminum spools for the stock width 349H or HC, or full Accurate 349H conversions or a Tiburon Wahoo Special kit, or stock Penn 349H parts, including some lefty parts, or collector condition reels in boxes, you can reach me at 805.748.9202 between 10AM and 9PM California time.  I am not really in the parts business, but if someone wanted to buy the entire lot of stock new and used Penn Master Mariner parts, I would make them a heck of a deal.

Thanks,

Randy

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

mikeysm

I have been buying up 349h parts so I can keep a few reels going a long time. What kind of rod should I match it up with. A few pictures are worth a thousand words.

Mike

Keta

Look what I found, picked up 2 14-349 AR springs too.

Mark Twain

Bill B

Good find Lee....keep stocking those parts....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Keta

They have some NOS 349 and 349H main gears, 349 pinion gear, side plates and other parts, including 4-349 AR springs, are available, if you want I will PM you a link. 

I wish I was not over extended with the my rifle rebarreling, the Keta Krank project and just buying 2500 head of "livestock" this month or I would buy up everything they have.

Mark Twain

Lensters

Quote from: Keta on April 11, 2017, 02:21:56 PM
Look what I found, picked up 2 14-349 AR springs too.

Did you pickup those for your new reel?  Do they have more?  I put the better rings on your new reel, mine could use some as well.  You'll hate this question but... do they have any parts for the 49s?

BTW... thanks for those parts you sent.  Hopefully I'll get them incorporated soon, just so much going on right now and so little energy to spread around.

Len
Lensters is also known as Len and will respond when addressed as either.

Disclaimer: My opinions, are mine and mine alone.  They should not be ascribed to Alan, moderators or anyone else on this site.  However, should you wish to, you may adopt them as your own.

mikeysm

Lee your lucky to find a outer ring. I can't find anything except inner rings. I have plenty of main and pinion gears. Enough bearings for at least five reels. I also have about seven spare bridges. I have several sets of plates all new old stock. Also today I found a Newell stock size spool nos. I also have a 349h 349hc nos. Also other parts. If you don't buy them now they won't be there in a year or so. There are a lot of old used reel around though for spare parts.

Mike