Avet JX uneven drag. Help

Started by nlam004, November 30, 2016, 01:55:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

OK,
I guess it is a different Mark.
I know they have the best prices on Avet's.
Life is Good!

Keta

I have fished with that Mark and dropped off a wahoo for his crew.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

I would almost bet the farm that there is a small piece of junk underneath the drag washer that is creating a high spot. That is really the only way I can think of that would cause a brand new reel to act up. Can I take a look at it?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Quote from: alantani on December 04, 2016, 10:09:36 PM
I would almost bet the farm that there is a small piece of junk underneath the drag washer that is creating a high spot.

One reason I do not like the glued on drag washers.

Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Keta on December 04, 2016, 05:12:15 AM
I have fished with that Mark and dropped off a wahoo for his crew.

Keta is right, no I'm not Mark Smith who owns Charkbait. But, I did get a chunck of that wahoo after you used a sawsall on it in the parking lot. Also Keta when Mark Smith gave you that CB jacket I was the person that got it out of the back room for you. So this should give you a time frame of when I worked in the tackle business.

Keta

I remember you.  Mark's crew then were all first class, that's why I dropped of a wahoo.  My EX 50 SDS was one of the first made and I used it on Mark's 10 day to land 2 cows.

Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

Must of been 2005 that was a record cow tuna year. 200 lb plus tuna were caught on trips in the 8 day range that year.

I don't want to hijack the OP's thread. Like I stated and Alan I would almost bet the drag washer is the issue. We are talking 1000's of an inch here something every hard to see with the naked eye. In theory everything in the drag system should lay totally flat to one another but there is always a slight fudge factor with several parts are making up the drag system.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

nlam004

UPDATE.  So I received the reel back from Avet.  I sent it in with the issues described and they sent it back to me in the same exact condition that I sent it in to them.  The drag pressure is still uneven.  Avet not considering it a problem was my worst fear because this isn't an issue that will keep that reel from fishing, but it will be something OCD gear junkies such as myself will notice.  Plus the spool on a reel will go through thousands of revolutions in its lifetime, and the tolerances need be precise if the reel is going to last.  This is extremely frustrating, because it seems like Avet didn't even look at the reel.

As before, I originally thought about a high spot on the drag washer or an uneven axis of the pressure plate, but shouldn't both need to occur for this particular issue?  Even a high spot on the drag washer would create constant contact with the pressure plate, despite only being in one spot on the washer.

Anyway, I am still looking thoughts or input.  Alan, I am in the bay area now if you really want to look at the reel. 

Thanks again everyone,
Nick

nlam004

also yes, I've looked at the washer for uneven spots and haven't found any.  I check while spinning the spool.  my washers are dry, not greased

akfish

Have you loaded line on the reel to check the drag? If you just hold the spool and try to feel the drag it will always seem rough. Shimano used to include a note about this in their Charter Specials.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

Quote from: nlam004 on December 10, 2016, 06:34:32 PM

Anyway, I am still looking thoughts or input.  Alan, I am in the bay area now if you really want to look at the reel. 

Thanks again everyone,
Nick

sent a pm!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

nlam004

Quote from: akfish on December 10, 2016, 07:13:04 PM
Have you loaded line on the reel to check the drag? If you just hold the spool and try to feel the drag it will always seem rough. Shimano used to include a note about this in their Charter Specials.

its in the video I posted

nlam004

Quote from: alantani on December 10, 2016, 07:23:19 PM
Quote from: nlam004 on December 10, 2016, 06:34:32 PM

Thanks again everyone,
Nick

sent a pm!

contact you soon, thanks for the pm