ag knot v palomar/crimp

Started by wallacewt, November 30, 2016, 08:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallacewt

i tested the ag knot against the palomar and crimps,only way i know how,fishing style
new 20lb line and 40lb line
how? 2 clips,tied ag one end,palomar the other,swung a bucket of water
20lb broke at 17lb at palomar knot,crimp broke at 14lb.ag wins
40lb next,bucket holds 37lb of water,this time i modified the ag knot on one end.used a flemish eye, other end the original ag knot
finished with 5 turn rizzuto
line broke in the middle(photo) after 15 minutes swinging in the wind(a draw)
if you look closely at the photo you can see where both knots have curled under the strain like they should,streched to the max.they were straight
palomar 2nd again
dont know the correct b/s of the line used,said 40lb on the label
also tried 60lb 80 lb 100lb,same result,20lb line was fluoro
you may like to try yourselfs i used 16 turns for both knots (ag and modified ag/photo)
cheers

mhc

Thanks Wallace, it's hard to argue with that result - AG it is!
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Swami805

I'm a little confused. The palomar knot I know doesn't use any turns, is it a new version of the palomar? Always up for learning a new knot. Thanks
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Lunker Larry

Quote from: Swami805 on November 30, 2016, 01:32:04 PM
I'm a little confused. The palomar knot I know doesn't use any turns, is it a new version of the palomar? Always up for learning a new knot. Thanks

i was thinking the same thing. Seen the palomar knot tested on those knot testing machines and the line never broke at the knot. That is pretty much the only knot I use.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

wallacewt

palomar knot doesnt have any turns
double the line,simple granny knot,hook thru loop ,tighten,
all knots are on line except my modified one
sry about the confusion
cheers

Dominick

Wallace.  It's good to see you experimenting.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

wallacewt

hi dom
ive used the palomar knot for years
i think the ag is superior
i like the modified even more so
with the ag org; its twice thru the eye and make sure they dont cross
then two 1/2hitches over, 2 under2 over etc; x 8 burn tag end
modified/ flemish eye with  2 passes thru the ring,2 passes thru loop just formed   ring of a ball bearing swivel is to thin for any more
one 1/2 hitch over pull up tight then 1 under i over x 16
finish with 5 turn rizzuto.burn tag end but stick it to 5 turn rizzuto. tag end dont stick out
careful not to touch main line. very quick to tie even on a rolling boat :D
clear as mud right :D
cheers

Swami805

Thanks for the tip on the ag, tough to beat a palomar for ease of tying though. I use the palomar for 50lb and under and a double San Diego for over 50lb. Just force of habit and a confidence thing I guess. Lots of great knots out there but when I'm in a hurry that knot I can tie in my sleep with cold fingers feels pretty good mentally. Good to see you putting something new to the test. Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Donnyboat

Thanks wallace, I think it is important to go through the eye of the hook twice, lots more resistance ay, cheers donnyboat
Don, or donnyboat

wallacewt

what about braid directly to hook or swivel
i did a couple of quick test
ag v palomar ag won easily
palomar is touted as best braid knot not so
pls try your own test and post
cheers

gstours

Its been working the best for me in testing and true life the doubled santiago slider with 3 twists back down it by far the easiest and strongest braid knot to a hook/swivel if you have to compromise out there in real life conditions,  like when next to you and behind its "fish on"  and your tying up some kinda ???????  gst. ::)