gear sleeve with washer grooves

Started by jigmaster501, December 04, 2016, 01:02:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jigmaster501

hey guys,

I picked up a Newell P440F on Ebay for $260.00. The reel came complete with a Tiburon Frame and Tiburon spool both in excellent condition.

I took it apart and found a 4 stack recessed gear with a new 5 stack washer which looks like it came from Bryan making a 6 stack drag.

The gear sleeve looks to be an original stainless??? but it appears that the reel was fished dry and the washers heated up and put pressure on the gear sleeve.

There are actually several grooves, not too deep in the gear sleeve.

Where the gear rides on the sleeve, there is no damage and there is no damage at all to the gears.

I don't see any other issues at all on the reel but I was wondering if I should replace the gear sleeve. I am thinking that the washers might slid into a groove while fighting a fish and cause the drag to get skippy.

What do you all think???

Thanks.

Newell Nut

It should be okay. There is a used gear sleeve with the pressed fit washer on ebay in the 447 section or you could get one of Tom's SS sleeves but you would have to modify it to add a washer in the bottom. You would have to carefully grind two flat sides  at the bottom and use a keyed drag washer.

Dwight

reel man

It is not uncommon to see marks on the gear sleeve (bidge sleeve) because it is made from stainless, and the discs are stainless, so a lot of heat build up between the main gear and the discs from hard pulling fish.  There should not be a problem because there's enough clearance between the discs and the gear sleeve.  You can apply some good grease to the sleeve, but it won't last because of the intense heat buildup.