Dam Quick 110

Started by steelhead_killer, December 04, 2016, 11:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Quote from: happyhooker on February 01, 2018, 12:44:33 AM

The big keyed washer that presumably fits between the drag knob and the drag washer--is that a flat washer or some kind of cupped spring washer?

Frank

It's a flat washer.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Mike is right — flat washer.  These are chromed over brass.

There is also a wavy spring washer that goes between the red drag knob and the flat metal keyed washer.

So from the spool up, you have a friction washer, keyed flat metal washer, wavy spring washer, and the drag knob.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

happyhooker

I figured there was likely some type of spring washers somewhere.  I hate to generalize, but spool mounted drags that do not have any type of spring seem to me very hard to adjust; you turn the drag knob just a tad & drag goes from not much to way too much.

Frank

mo65

Thinking back...I can't remember if that 110 I restored had a spring washer under the drag knob. I gave the reel to my brother for his Birthday. Since there isn't one in the photo I doubt it was present. I better try to find one.

Midway Tommy

They are easy to find, Mike. Your local Ace, True Value, etc., with specialty racks should have what you need.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Quote from: Midway Tommy on February 03, 2018, 04:51:38 PM
They are easy to find, Mike. Your local Ace, True Value, etc., with specialty racks should have what you need.

If it is not easy or convenient to find, Mike — glad to send you one at N/C.  They are kind of a unique size on the 110 & 265.  The outside diameter needs to almost touch the spool cup — and have enough spring height to function properly.

The drag knobs on these 110 & 265 are metal, not plastic — as such, the drag will function best with the 360 degree fully adjustable and even up or down pressure of the proper spring against the large metal drag disc.

IMO.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Thanks Fred...I'll try the hardware like Tommy suggested...and if I can't find the correct size I'll shoot you a PM.  8)

festus

This little jewel arrived this afternoon.  Looks like it was fished very little, it is very clean.  The bail is very strong but cranking felt a little stiff.  I opened her up and I wouldn't doubt this is the original grease and it's possible this is the first time the side plate has been removed.

The housing and gears seem to be same size as the bigger DAM Quick 220. 

BTW, earlier in this thread I see some discussion on the spool and brake, does it look like I may be missing a washer or two?

Midway Tommy

It looks like you're missing the friction washer. Mike's was some sort of plastic but it looks like Fred has both the fiber & plastic in his box. I'm pretty sure the fiber was factory OEM, if I remember right. I'm pretty sure the plastic/nylon came later as an optional replacement type.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

mo65

Replacing the friction washer is a cinch...a Penn 6-309 fits great after you trim about 1 mm off the outside diameter. That metal keyed washer is a mess though, you'll have to polish it and the wave washer. The rest of the reel looks great...nice find Festus. My reel was stiff too, it's that petrified grease. 8)

foakes

You are right as usual, Tommy —

Except the tan ones in the parts tray are the NOS vintage and correct leather from 1960.

Rough on one side, smooth on the other.  They are flexible and work very well.  Must be treated with oil or something to keep so well after 58 years.

These were for the 265 Microlites.

The hard black, or brick color ones were for the 110's. 

The clear vinyl plastic ones were a replacement like you mentioned.

Depending on the fishing application of the angler — CF can be used very slightly greased on both surface sides with Cal's purple — or really any material you may prefer.  With 4 lb. test and targeting freshwater fish typically 2 to 10 pounds — it makes little difference.

The only drag discs that should be greased with Cal's are CF.  On smooth surfaces, the grease acts like water in drum brakes — no stopping friction.

The metal disc, spring washer, spool spindle, and the inside of the spindle should all be smooth and clean for proper operation of the drag system.

I also apply a TINY bit of grease on the threaded spindle where the red drag nut screws on — and a new under spool washer is also useful.

Just some tips that others may not know.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

festus

Quote from: mo65 on February 04, 2018, 01:56:14 AM
   Replacing the friction washer is a cinch...a Penn 6-309 fits great after you trim about 1 mm off the outside diameter. That metal keyed washer is a mess though, you'll have to polish it and the wave washer. The rest of the reel looks great...nice find Festus. My reel was stiff too, it's that petrified grease. 8)
Thanks for the tip, Mike, I happened to junk out a couple of Penn 309 this week.

Quote from: foakes on February 04, 2018, 02:06:28 AM
I also apply a TINY bit of grease on the threaded spindle where the red drag nut screws on — and a new under spool washer is also useful.

Just some tips that others may not know.

Best,

Fred
Upon further inspection, looks like I'm missing an underspool washer also.

This little reel is even better than I expected.  Also got another surprise today, the little Shakespeare 2052 was in the mailbox this afternoon. 

Midway Tommy

QuoteExcept the tan ones in the parts tray are the NOS vintage and correct leather from 1960.

Rough on one side, smooth on the other.  They are flexible and work very well.  Must be treated with oil or something to keep so well after 58 years.

These were for the 265 Microlites.

The hard black, or brick color ones were for the 110's. 

The clear vinyl plastic ones were a replacement like you mentioned.

Ha! That goes to show you how much I know. I figured those tan ones were just old faded red ones.  :) Hmmm? That'll teach me to assume.  :D

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Rivverrat

Some of these old reels especeailly certain models of DAM Quicks look as if they have been in a time lock or people just quit fishing with them soon after purchase. I know they are older but the Quicks with the most use seem to be the Finnesa's. There the only ones I've come across that have been serviced or may show some internal wear... Jeff

mo65

Quote from: festus on February 04, 2018, 03:29:23 AM
Upon further inspection, looks like I'm missing an underspool washer also.

No big kadoo here either Festus, it can be replaced by about any hard smooth material. Quick's stock Resistex material works very well, as does Delrin or Teflon, even Penn under spool washers will work. Maybe the Spinfisher reels might offer a correct size, maybe from a 720 or similar size reel. 8)