Dam Quick 110

Started by steelhead_killer, December 04, 2016, 11:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kozmo77

Guys, can I get some info? 110 in a box of stuff- looks great, but will not turn. Disassemble, clean...now very smooth. However the drag system is different --face of spool has a "star wheel"  pressed into it. Believe a previous reassembly and I can't figure out a correct reassembly. Can't access old photos so could use some current ones- from face of pinion bearing for to drag spinner. Would be delighted to see how this weirdo goes together. Thanks WC

happyhooker

If the "star wheel" is the same as the locking washer on the 220 I have, it just pries out, but before you try that and maybe bust something, maybe someone else on the site can confirm.  There are folks here who will know for sure.

Frank

Kozmo77

Thanks, Frank- tried to removeit, but not vigorously. Every part on this reel is a-ok, all original .... HATE to break a part!! :(

mo65

Yep Kozmo, Happyhooker is right, that star washer pops out with a little help from a screwdriver. Here is a link to my question about this:

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12620.45

Just scroll down the page til you see my comment.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Hi Walter —

Never seen a 110 with a star type drag fastener — that doesn't mean anything of course.

Lots of things I have yet to see.

220 & 221 have those press in drag clip star rings.

Do you think someone installed 110 badge on a 220?

Post a couple of pics — so you can get accurate answers, instead of my guesses.

Thanks!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

I've never seen a Microlite or 110, including a 110N, spool with a star retaining clip, either. Fred, you posted while I was typing.  :) The waffle spring sits directly under the drag nut. Are you sure you're not talking about the ratchet wheel mechanism on the bottom of the spool? If so, it's probably stuck and needs a little persuasion. There is nothing that holds the ratchet wheel in the spool except the drag knob. An original Microlite or 110 spool should only have these parts.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Kozmo77

Thank to all . Spool has the hex pocket, star retainer- not to bad to get out, thanks to Frank's reply. Someone has been in this little gem- drag waffle spring in bottom of spool pocket, no E-clip on drive gear/drive rod connection, bail badly stuck. BTW, 2 small copper shims- where do they go? Rest of unit seems correct now.  Mono or braid? ;)

Kozmo77

Re pics- don't know how or would post. Could be a badge switch- was clocked wrong. Will take some measurements on body size. Man!! Thought I had a 110- a buddy got a box at garage sale- just wanted a big Diawa serviced- must reel with right hand so...  Box had 2 penn 209MS along with some small spinners ... Penns have boxes and one has instruction/ catalog and wrench. Another box with 7 new mon Trilene in it 10 bucks-- I never find anything like that  Thanks again WC

festus

Quote from: Kozmo77 on March 12, 2018, 11:48:40 PM
BTW, 2 small copper shims- where do they go? Rest of unit seems correct now. 
Those shims go on both sides of the slider, the outer one under the c-clip.

happyhooker

Quote from: Kozmo77 on March 13, 2018, 12:01:37 AM
...a buddy got a box at garage sale- just wanted a big Diawa serviced- must reel with right hand so...  Box had 2 penn 209MS along with some small spinners ... Penns have boxes and one has instruction/ catalog and wrench. Another box with 7 new mon Trilene in it 10 bucks-- I never find anything like that  Thanks again WC

A sawbuck well spent, regardless.

Frank

foakes

Quote from: Kozmo77 on March 12, 2018, 11:48:40 PM
Thank to all . Spool has the hex pocket, star retainer- not to bad to get out, thanks to Frank's reply.

It is probable that you have a 110N — which is radically different from a 110.

These have the hex washers you mention.

If unsure or unable to post pics — contact one of us, and we will post your pics until you learn how.

This site is about education for all interested lookers — so photos are a useful key for everyone to see.

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Kozmo77

:'( Full disclosure and deepest apologies as follows: Did not look closely at badge during disassembly. Have ARMD assumed facts not in evidence. Size appeared to be small reel. I look very closely at other types Amb., Shimano, Diawa, Penn etc. but badge on Quicks says it all. *220* Reel  >(functions flawlessly I know very little about these many and varied items- I just know that I like them very much and enjoy making an otherwise piece of junk into what it once was. I don't think I will ever be able to add much if anything to this forum, but truly enjoy all the input from so many highly respectable men and women. So, I'm hangin' back and readin' all I can. Thanks again WC 8)

foakes

No big deal, Walter —

My advice would be to not hang back — wade right in — ask questions, offer observations and answers to others.

You will find out that if you faithfully follow the parts of Alan's website that interest you for 90 days — you WILL know as much or more than folks who have been in the business for 10 years, or more.

This is an advanced course in reel repair, service, and restoration.

In your defense, Walter, as for the 110 vs. the 220 — few folks know that the 110 & 220 body have identical gear casings — just the size of the rotor and spools is different — and the stand on the 220 is 1/2" taller.

I am currently building out 100 Quicks from parts for folks and for sale inventory. These are 265, 110, 110N, 220, 221, 270.  After this, I will start on about 250 more that include the rest of the models.  I will keep two examples of each model, one to fish, and one to display — then get rid of the rest.

The main bench is jammed with these, as I get a couple a day done in between other reel jobs.

Figured since I have the parts, they should be in the hands of folks who would use and appreciate them.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

happyhooker

You're good, Kozmo77.  We all got to discuss what interests us, and a good reel like you have will always prompt everyone to hop on board and swap ideas.  Those DAM Qs are special and have a unique place in fishing reel history.  You are lucky to have one--I would bet 97% of the anglers out there have never fished with one and a large percentage maybe have never even heard of one.

Frank