Alutecnos 130 II - two-speed monster

Started by UKChris, December 06, 2016, 03:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKChris

I acquired one of these gorgeous Italian monsters a while back, as new apart from a couple of tiny marks on the shiny gold loveliness of it. It has a silent, infinite anti-reverse and my only experiences with such a system have been on an Abu shore reel (good) and a small gold Penn (bad, as the system failed and the handle would spin backwards).

Does anyone know whether there have ever been any problems with Alutecnos anti-reverse and if so whether there is a fix needed? I don't want to find myself with a handle wanting to wrench my hand off when a giant bluefin takes off for the horizon under heavy drag.

Thanks chaps...

hafnor

Does not look that way. I can`t see any dogpawls in the schematics. In fact, I can´t seem to find any anti reverse bearing neither....

Part #21 might look like an AR bearing - Typically that part has no name and isn´t mentioned in the schematics

See schematics here:

http://www.alutecnos.it/alutecnos.it/linea58/download/manuale%20130.pdf

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Looking at the schematics the drag is a push system. it should be similar to the big penns n avets.

photo #4
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=31.0

if not maybe similar to the shimano tiagra
http://fish.shimano.com/content/dam/shimanoweb/fish/sac-fish/en/techdocs/current-models--2-/TIAGRA/TI130A

or both. only one way to find out is to open the left side.

tight lines!

Tightlines667

I have heard these havd one of the best AR bearing systems on the market, and that there are no backup dogs.  We would love to have a look inside.  If you get her broken down, please share some pics.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Reinaard van der Vossen

Chris, I think the Ruota Libera is the infinite anti reverse bearing.

Should be a large one as the smaller ARB's will take approx 30 lbs of drag. In some smaller reels you find two of them if the need more than 30 lb of drag but that's jigging size reels.

In a 130 you have much more space for a big one

UKChris

Thank you all.

I could find no dogs/pawls either in the schematic diagram but neither have I found any indication through the internet that this monster (it is bigger than a Penn Int. 130 II ST) has ever failed in use, even in the giant black marlin fishery of the Great Barrier Reef where drags are sometimes frighteningly high.

Not considered taking it apart yet but I will do so before it is used (though when that will be is anyone guess at the moment) just to ensure everything is properly packed or coated with grease. I'll take some pictures then, to help me put it all back together  ;D.

I have loaded it with 600 yards of Gudebrod G6 130lb dacron (which is thicker than many 130lb dacron lines today) and there is room for at least 300 yards of 130 mono on top so it has generous capacity! Will probably match it with a Penn 130 International X bent butt rod when the time comes.

hafnor

Quote from: Reinaard van der Vossen on December 11, 2016, 12:21:21 AM
Chris, I think the Ruota Libera is the infinite anti reverse bearing.

That makes sense! they call it "freewheel" lol. I bet these ar bearings are massive.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: UKChris on December 11, 2016, 12:17:24 PM
Not considered taking it apart yet but I will do so before it is used

please let us know your discoveries about this reel...

UKChris

Hi all,

I haven't forgotten that there are folks interested in seeing the insides of this lovely monster but I've not had a need to open her up yet. I've been messing about with some Penn Internationals that need work to make them perform as they should as they were going to see some use first. My dream of bluefin in Canada has had to take a back seat whilst my insides were worked on by a surgeon  :o Hope he followed the schematics.