One Piece Frame JigMaster 500/501 is ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by Black Pearl, December 07, 2016, 03:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Gfish on July 25, 2018, 02:54:12 PM
Nice Sheridan! BTH, thanks much for the bars, the 259's gettin there...

Mine. Very smooth workin. The JMX package makes this'n more drag adjustable than any Jigmaster I have so far. Not to concerened with cosmetics over function, I labeled the mag. control temporarly 'till I get used to it. Plan on doin some castin.

One thing somewhat bothersome to me: I only got about 1 turn on alla bridgeplate screws. Anyone else experience this?
Screws get measured from below the head, so no matter what screws you use if they're 5/8" you should be getting 4 turns.
I also use stainless steel bridge screws, but not because of length, I use them because the stock screws will eventually strip from going in and out that stainless steel bridge plate.
One on two things could be happening to yours,
1- the tip of the screw are shredded,
2 - the bridge is not sitting on the two plate pins on the plate all the way down.
tolerance is very tight on these, try positioning the eccentric lever in the middle as you secure the bridge plate.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelfish

Quote from: Swami805 on July 25, 2018, 03:38:15 AM
Took the reel out today, caught a limit of yellowtail 12-15 lbs. reel worked great, cast sardines very well. Great drag system and with the braid has a unique sound. Went 5 for 5,we were fishing tight to the structure with kelp in play and could put the screws to the fish pretty well. No sure of the offset handle, great for fighting fish but had to move it for casting   Maybe not the best option for a reel that size, I'll try a straight handle next time. All in all couldn't be happier I'm sur the reel could handle yellows twice that size with heavier top shot. A lot of compliments on the look too
A few other highlights, one guy hooked a yellow, the bait went thru it's mouth and out the gills and another yellow ate it. A twofer like I've never seen
Another guy had yellow whipped, all of a sudden the thing takes off and he's getting absolutely freight trained. We figure it's a sea lion. It drops the yellow and he gets the fish up to the surface and it's about a 250-300 lb Black Sea bass rolls on the yellow then sinks out. When the fish hits the deck there were crush marks right behind the 15lb yellow's gills. The food chain in action. Very impressive fish and good to know there's still a few monsters around
Great day, if you on the fence about these kits I can say you won't be disappointed. Going again in a few weeks, hoping the bigger grade yellows show up  it's getting that time of year
Thanks for your effort Alan
Sheridan

great catch and awesome fishing stories amigo
The Baja Guy

Gfish

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 25, 2018, 05:31:08 PM
Quote from: Gfish on July 25, 2018, 02:54:12 PM
Nice Sheridan! BTH, thanks much for the bars, the 259's gettin there...

Mine. Very smooth workin. The JMX package makes this'n more drag adjustable than any Jigmaster I have so far. Not to concerened with cosmetics over function, I labeled the mag. control temporarly 'till I get used to it. Plan on doin some castin.

One thing somewhat bothersome to me: I only got about 1 turn on alla bridgeplate screws. Anyone else experience this?
Screws get measured from below the head, so no matter what screws you use if they're 5/8" you should be getting 4 turns.
I also use stainless steel bridge screws, but not because of length, I use them because the stock screws will eventually strip from going in and out that stainless steel bridge plate.
One on two things could be happening to yours,
1- the tip of the screw are shredded,
2 - the bridge is not sitting on the two plate pins on the plate all the way down.
tolerance is very tight on these, try positioning the eccentric lever in the middle as you secure the bridge plate.

Sal

Thanks Sal. I think the bridge is flush, the E. Jack is centered and all's workin good, but I'll recheck. Tried 2diffrent sets a bridge screws, so probably they's 5/8" and right. We'll see. These type a things are fun n interesting to deal with...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

Measured my new screws from Mysticparts and some others I had layin around and they's #17-60ch at 0.60"(about 19/32"). One a the lower ones only gets about 1/4-1/2 turn. Was measuring from the underside of the screw-head to the tip.

5/8"=0.625"...? Don't know what's up, but Imina use some 113H bridge screws(0.70") with about 0.05" ground off to clear the spool and see, hopefully they'll end up slightly longer than the #17-60ch's n work.

Alto Mare

Gregg, I just double checked.
Even though the socket cap screws and stock screws measure the same, the stock screw sits a little lower on the plate.
I do see the the under side of the head is machined differently on the cap screws, this makes them sit deeper.

I marked my torque screwdriver, not easy to count the revolution on those. I'm getting 2 3/4 turn on the socket screw and about 1 3/4 turn on the stock screw.
Not sure the stock screw would fail, but I see your concerns.
I do recommend stainless steel screws on these reels, here is where I get them from:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#92196a138/=1dvo1z8

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Swami805

I used the stock screws, I'll check mine when I get home from work. I didn't notice if they were short or not.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Gfish

Thanks Fishin-gents. Imina have some learnin fun with this. Screws are cheap, just godda wait for delivery, as long as I don't strip out the bridge plate threads, I won't get frustrated.
Really, I think 1.5 - 4 turns is enough on the bridge plate threads, I'm gettin 3/4's on the best one. Perhaps I got a head plate that wasn't drilled deep enough, though I doubt that it's diffrent than the others.

Gonna start out with ss socket cap screws next time, or, maybe the kit outta come with them?...
Thanks so much for your help.

Black Pearl

Quote from: Gfish on July 26, 2018, 06:58:54 PM
Thanks Fishin-gents. Imina have some learnin fun with this. Screws are cheap, just godda wait for delivery, as long as I don't strip out the bridge plate threads, I won't get frustrated.
Really, I think 1.5 - 4 turns is enough on the bridge plate threads, I'm gettin 3/4's on the best one. Perhaps I got a head plate that wasn't drilled deep enough, though I doubt that it's diffrent than the others.

Gonna start out with ss socket cap screws next time, or, maybe the kit outta come with them?...
Thanks so much for your help.

I will look for a source for those bridge screws and include them in the kit.

Swami805

I checked my screws and there's 2 that are pretty short. I've fished the reel twice with no issues but don't want to press my luck. I picked up some SS socket head screws that are 3/4" that I can file down. They're threaded all the way. Is it ok to use those on the top 2 or do the threads cause a problem with the springs?  I have longer penn screws if I need them
Also what size are the screws that hold the frame together?  Might put socket heads in those too
Thanks

Maxed Out

If the top 2 screws are threaded, the yoke will not work as it gets jammed on the threads....the non threaded part of that screw is for the yoke to slide freely up and down

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Swami805

Gfish

Fished mine yesterday. Dispite the bull-ride-like conditions, bout every third cast with a 3oz. jig, I could tell that this JM variation is the best yet. Love the clicker, love the cast control, and it's as crankin smooth as can be. Good job Allen C. n' Sal!
Naw, no bites on the jig, though.

Black Pearl

I am going to make some Jigmaster partial thread bridge screw in stainless steel and it is in flat head. It will be one threading more than the OEM.

It is around $.90 a piece.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks,
--Alan

Petah

Alan,

Thanks so much for these!!! I had the opportunity to fish my 501 on three separate trips now.
The reel is flawless in my opinion!!!! Super strong, your bridgeplate, gear sleeve and JMX500 gears and drags performed perfectly!!!

Peter