Bottomfish Flies?

Started by gstours, December 07, 2016, 04:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

I am indoors more with more time on my hands because of the bad occasional weather patterns,   And was wondering if anybody uses or has had any luck on Large or super-large streamer flies for rockfish. Generally a bait of something is added above the heavy iron or lead head rig.   any thoughts?  ???  Post pictures if you can.  :-*   thanks for a reply2!

theswimmer

Some
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

theswimmer

More
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

theswimmer

Here is what I have on my phone Gary.
The flies are quite big , most are 4-5 inch's long.
The pink and yellow fly has a Mylar skirt over the pink feather that gives a iridescent look to it.
The yellow hackle gives a diameter of about 4 inches.
The big barbed streamer is about 6-7 inchs long.
The blue anchovy streamer in the lower left corner has a purple head over bare copper wire as per Bryans idea about electrical current set up by the interaction between copper and salt water. Seems to work.
Any of the Lefties Deceiver patterns work in many colors.

I also tie huge Hackle, as big as I can find on my swim bait jig heads and the biggest Big Hammer  square tails I can find.
Ill post some pics of the swim baits when I get home.

All of these have worked well for giant lings in Central and Northern California waters.
Again the colors that work the best for me are green, brown , red ,white  and olive.
I also use a big swim bait , 12 inchs long that is clear silver sparkle with a white and red hackle in deeper water.
Best,
Jonathan

Errol Flynn

theswimmer

Oh ya , Burnt Orange as well.

Errol Flynn

STRIPER LOU

Hey Gary,
   I tie several hundred of these throughout the winter. They are available for sale and most of the local tackle shops carry them.
Sizes range from 4/0 to 12/0. We use them for just about everything. Rock fish and east coast cod fisherman seem to prefer dark blues and purples tied on 7/0 siwash hooks. Usually used in conjunction with a diamond or Norwegian jig with the fly tied 20 to 24" above on a dropper.

Also the bunker patterns are popular with the stripe bass fisherman. These can be over 10" long. Hopefully it will give you some idea's if you should decide to roll your own.

Have a great day,  ..  Lou

gstours

Thanks guys  ;), I,m getten excited just thinkin im tasting fresh fish.    I will try to post some pictures of my limited patterns soon. :-*