BFT opinion...what do yu do with it beside sushi?

Started by thorhammer, December 08, 2016, 01:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Ongoing debate in NC as to whether BFT is any good other than sushi...many (mostly commercials) are arguing that is the only thing the meat is good for is sushi since it's fatty and doesn't freeze well, or even tastes good freshly grilled. Their point is that if a recreational boater doesn't have a commercial license to sell, no one is eating 200 lbs of sushi and the flesh will go to waste. Is this factual, or propaganda to discourage recreational boater competition? I know my Left Coast buddies target BFT; what are your thoughts, and if this is hogwash, what's preferred storage / preparation? Is it really that bad if prepared properly upon catch, then vacuum sealed?

Inquiring minds would like to know, before I buy yet another 80 :)

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

ReelFishingProblems

Not sure what you guys are talking about, but I really like it raw.

... just kidding, it's good as nigiri too.

Jim Fujitani

Although it may have a high fat content, BFT doesn't keep as well when vac-packed and frozen, IMHO.  I have always tried to eat my BFT as sashimi/onigiri.  If you have access to ingredients, BFT poki is very good also.  Shioyaki or teriyaki are also options.  Some members of my LR group have canned BFT with fair results.  I have had eaten smoked and dry-canned BFT, and though good, it wasn't exceptional and not really worth the effort.

Big Tim

MarkT

All i do with it is sashimi. Anything involving cooking would probably be considered sacrilege!  I'd guess it'd be fine for anything you'd use YFT for.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

alantani

sashimi or poke, that's about it.  you can sear it and it's pretty good, though. i don't mind if it's seared.   
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Aiala

I won't target (or keep) BFTs anymore, since I won't eat raw fish, and they don't compare with YFTs when cooked.  :P

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

steelfish

Quote from: Aiala on December 08, 2016, 05:45:10 PM
I won't target (or keep) BFTs anymore, since I won't eat raw fish, and they don't compare with YFTs when cooked.  :P

~A~

this is new to me, Aiala can you tell me why the difference?
what meals can you prepare with YFT that dont taste good with BFT?
The Baja Guy

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

yft can be seared on all sides and raw in the middle or cooked all the way on a griddle or grill with bft i only eat it raw...maybe because BFT gets tougher when cooked. ???

boon

Smoke and vacuum pack.

Or eat it ika mata style, lime juice and coconut cream with loads of diced red onion, tomato, green pepper and cilantro. Yum!

FatTuna

I've never understood why someone would keep a 200-300lb bluefin if they weren't going to sell it.

I think they did away with the trophy fish for recreational anglers but there used to be guys who would keep giants. Pretty sure most of those fish would go to waste. I had a friend who carved up an 84" fish once and froze it. The meat was not good out of the freezer.  

I've had grilled bluefin before. It's fine. I prefer yellowfin though. Even when it comes to sashimi, I prefer yellowfin.

I think in part people will say and do whatever they can to discourage new boats from entering the fleet. Especially here in New England. At the same time, there is definitely some truth to what is being said.

Personally, I'd say just get the commercial permit if you think you are going to get into that class of fish.

otownjoe

I've made tuna tartar with frozen bluefin that was packaged by five-star. It was outstanding. Its by far the best raw fish ive ever eaten.  I actually prefer raw tuna that has been previously frozen. It seems more tender than fresh sashimi. If I get a chewy piece of raw fish i can't deal with it.Joe

thorhammer

Thank you all as this is exactly the input sought, and it be why AT is such s great sounding board.
We had worst luck this year getting schedules and weather to sync; and my partners Pursuit is just coming back from Fiberglas work we sustained in nasty storm in Sugust. We were thinking of giving BFT a shot when it opens in Jan as they are in tight, if at all, and not too much else happening except a 60 mile run fir a wahoo.

We are equipped tackle-wise to boat one in pretty good order, but to the point I don't want to harvest such a special fish and have two hundred pounds of bft chum. Just doesn't sit right.

We will consider this carefully and responsibly, and whether catch and release is appropriate to take on with bent butt 80's and 200lb braid (we use for high speed trolling).

Thanks again.

David Hall

I've caught and eaten both, I like BFT better but only as sashimi or poke, ceviche, what ever you want to call it.
I have a lot of friends and family that don't fish but who enjoy eating tuna, so I like to spread the wealth.
I'll have my grandchildren deliver vacuum sealed frozen filets to all my neighbors. Take it to work and give it to people I know will enjoy it as much as we do.