Main Menu

first post

Started by alantani, December 04, 2008, 06:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brewcrafter, Donnyboat, mww, Gobi King, PRSD, jigmaster501, Hamachi, broadway (+ 1 Hidden) and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Goby

Hi guys,
Obviously new to this forum, but have been visiting for a while. I thought I'd already done a this but I did dribble after one or eight too many beers and bourbons. I'm a recently retired fish biologist (Murdoch, Western Australia) who has just moved to Augusta WA where the Southern and Indian Oceans meet. Swells and seas can get big, so with a 5m boat most of my fishing is now in 3-20m, but still get big YTK and Samson fish. Will be asking heaps of questions regarding suitable lefty reels, and their maintenance, from jigging to drowning baits.

Cheers,

Howard
Fishing, motorbikes, family, friends, beer and bourbon, but not necessarily in that order!

alantani

Decker

Welcome, Howard.  Your descriptions sound very exotic to a yank living in the mid-Atlantic coast.  Looking forward to stories and pics.   /Joe

Tightlines667

Welcome aboard!

I am a fisheries biologist as well.
John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

Welcome Howard!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Welcome Howard!
Watch that Bourbon, It will get you into trouble.
I had to give it up. ;)
Life is Good!

foakes

Welcome Home, Howrd --

Look forward to your pics and your questions...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Goby

Many thanks for the welcome Alan, Joe, John, Sal and Fred,

Alan thanks for such an informative site.

Joe, it's not that exotic, but beautiful! A small (one pub, one hardware store, newsagent, etc) and a small commercial and whale watching fleet. Probably equivalent of the small fishing towns around you. And at the moment it's gale force winds, rain and a  swell coming!

John, what fisheries do you work on and where? I'm a fish and evolutionary biologist not fisheries, could never have put up with all the politics!

Fred, the bourbon just helps the beer go down, or is it the other way?
Will be asking about thoughts on Maxel hybrid 20 as need a reel to put on a PE1-3 Black Hole jig stick. Where should I post?

Cheers and thanks,

Howard
Fishing, motorbikes, family, friends, beer and bourbon, but not necessarily in that order!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Joey

Hi guys,
Obviously new to this forum, I have fished Penn reels my whole life 50+ years. When my dad got a backlash he would give the reels to remove the backlash while he fished with another rig. So as a young lad I learned to cast the 309. I still have the reels from mom and dad, although they put up for memories taken out special occasions and fished. Owning many reels from different manufacturers, I come back to Penn. Now my quest is shark from the surf and the reel first up is the Senator 4/0 black case. I hope to add 2 more reels for shark duty one will be a 9/0 and maybe an Avet.

I stumbled across this site in search of upgrading my current 4/0, I would like to change the gear ratio but I am finding out this might not be possible. So I will update the sleeve, drags and dogs. I have found a wealth of information just by trolling. Very excited to learn more.

Joey

alantani

foakes

Welcome aboard, Joey --

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bill B

Good to have you here Joey....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!