Main Menu

first post

Started by alantani, December 04, 2008, 06:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taily, CapeFish, Benni3, Jigtosser, RUSTY OLD COLT, jzumi, Squidh90, Donnyboat and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Dominick

Yo! Adrian...how ya duin...Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tiddlerbasher

Crow

Welcome, Adrian !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Somerset Pete

Hi Guys, greetings from the UK.  I'm Peter and I live in Somerset.  I have been lurking in the shadows on this great website for a while, so I thought I should sign up.  I am obsessed with vintage reels because I am convinced that they don't make them like they used to.  I have a Penn Delmar from the mid 1960s, a couple of Penn Long Beaches, two Senators, a Daiwa 400h, a Daiwa 600h, some Mitchells plus a stack more.  My ancient 'made in USA' Penns are generally in very serviceable condition.  How many of the Chinese Penns will be fishing in 30,40,50 year's time?  Anyway, with my ageing collection I am sure that I will be needing the expertise of you Guys to keep them going.  Best regards.

Crow

Welcome !!  Sounds like you have a pretty good arsenal !  Trust me, it will soon get bigger  ::)!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Somerset Pete

Quote from: Crow on October 08, 2017, 07:14:57 PM
Welcome !!  Sounds like you have a pretty good arsenal !  Trust me, it will soon get bigger  ::)!

If my collection gets much bigger I think my wife may be consulting lawyers!  :o

ez2cdave

Quote from: Somerset Pete on October 08, 2017, 07:53:49 PM
Quote from: Crow on October 08, 2017, 07:14:57 PM

If my collection gets much bigger I think my wife may be consulting lawyers!  :o

Citing the number of SHOES and PURSES one's wife has can be a "useful tool" in defending a tackle collection . . . Of course, you should expect a "little vacation" on the couch in the Living Room ( be sure to have plenty of fishing DVD's handy out there ) . . . LOL !

Tight Lines !

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Tiddlerbasher

Welcome Peter - Chris also from the UK

Somerset Pete

Thanks for the warm welcome fellas.

Dave - You're clearly a braver man than I am!  ;D

Chris - Where are you in the UK?

Peter

Lugnut5

Hi,
I've been a visitor to your site several times and always find great knowledge and product references here. So...I thought I'd join.
I have recently added tuna fishing to my list of piscatorial addictions. Prior to this, I have fished extensively for black bass (from kayak), rock fish (from yak and charter boat), and trout (fly fishing).
But this tuna thing is new for me. I'm going to use a Penn 114h w/Accurate frame, stainless gear set, and Carbontex washers for trolling...or? I also have a Penn Conquer 8000 spinning reel matched with a Tsunami XH 50-100#, 7ft rod that works very well casting jigs, spoons, or poppers. My third set-up is for live-lining: Ugly Stik GX2, Heavy 20-50#; which at the moment has a nostalgic Daiwa Sealine SL175h on it. But I realize I'm probably going to need an upgrade there for the reel. As much as I love that little Sealine, I know it won't stand up to an average So Cal YFT or Dorado. So I'm open to suggestions for that setup.
I should also add that I have an issue with my lower back (so I wear a brace), and past knee surgery (another brace), and a messed up trapezium bone in my left wrist (again another brace). Plus, I'm 67 y/o...yeah...I'm addicted.
Very happy to have found this group, and thank you Alan for all of the time and effort you have put into this sport through out the years. This kind of information is priceless.

Crow

Welcome !!   Tuna fishing is on my "bucket list", so keep us posted about your progress !

alantani

welcome!  for these reels, it's the standard drag and bearing service.  you might also consider some of the newer 2 speed reels.  they're alot of money, but you can't take that money with you when you die!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Lugnut5

Quote from: alantani on October 22, 2017, 10:19:23 PM
welcome!  for these reels, it's the standard drag and bearing service.  you might also consider some of the newer 2 speed reels.  they're alot of money, but you can't take that money with you die!

Haha, so true Alan. I've got my eye on a couple: Avet MXJ 6/4 w/MC, or a used Talica.
But I'll have to save up for next season before that day arrives.