Main Menu

first post

Started by alantani, December 04, 2008, 06:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akroper, mike1010, jtwill98, mww, Gobi King and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

David Hall

Newbie here also:
I was just looking around the internet for a place to send my reels to get serviced.  I had no idea there was a site with this much support.  Last spring I got involved in a local fishing club program to take vets out for a day on the monterey Bay for a salmon derby.  Through donating some new gear for the vets derby day I heard about Alan.  He provided upgrades and mods on the new reels and spooled them all up for the Vets.   

And now I am going to start servicing my own reels?   I think I will start with one reel and see how I feel after that!
I have been enjoying reading through various posts for the past few days.
Now I just need to decide which of the 20 or so neglected reels I have, to start with?

Im thinking my little Avet MXJ has been acting pretty rough this season. I will wander over to the Avet posts and see if I can build the confidence to  "Crack it open"

foakes

Welcome Longhall --

You will do just fine.

If you have questions, there are plenty of knowledgable folks on Alan's Board.

Learn how post pics on photobucket -- so we can all see what you are doing.

Thanks for joining.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Welcome David! ;D
Glad to have you. ;)
Life is Good!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

DaBigOno

Aloha!   Welcome David

The MXJ is a great little reel, one of my favorites to work on.

Notice how the beville washers go back in, can give you fits trying to figure out why you dont have freespool or not enough drag.

It's #5 on the schematics
http://www.avetreels.net/SCHEMATICS___PARTS_LISTS.html

Also take a good look at the pinion bearing #23 (single speed) #24 (two speed)

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Tiddlerbasher

MFB

G'day David,

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Great Bass 2

I have been on the site for a while but haven't posted much. I grew up in SCAL fishing pelagics then moved to NCAL 30 years ago. Fly fished awhile then took up kayak fishing. I used to fear reel maintenance and thanks to Alan, I service and upgrade most of my reels on my own. Still afraid of my Shimano Baitrunner though. LOL I wrap my own rods, nothing fancy, just fish killers. Will post up some of my favorites. I fish with my dog Molly and guide wounded vets through the Heroes on the Water program. Life is good. Scott
Penn - Newell - Avet
Calstar - Seeker - Phenix

Shark Hunter

Welcome Scott! Nice dog you have there! Life is good Indeed my friend! ;)
Life is Good!

foakes

Welcome, Scott --

Nice pics...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

MFB

No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

DaBigOno

Aloha!  Welcome Scott.
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ElBee

Howdy from Calgary, Alberta

Great site you have here. Truly a great resource!

Cheers!