Main Menu

first post

Started by alantani, December 04, 2008, 06:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squiggy, eguinn, PacRat, redfish12, hrgriz, MACflyer, Brendan and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Goby on August 12, 2017, 02:54:45 PM

John, what fisheries do you work on and where? I'm a fish and evolutionary biologist not fisheries, could never have put up with all the politics!

Howard,

I work for NMFS PIRO, the Pelagic Longline Fisheries Observer program.  I train brief/debrief observers, edit data, fill data requests, and am the programs POC for Seabirds, VMS, and Percent Coverage.  We also support some ongoing research projects.  There are politics, economics, and science in management, but my program is largely concerned with collecting and providing data to scientists, and managers.  I do do some data analysis as well.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

ez2cdave

Quote from: alantani on December 04, 2008, 06:37:33 AM
december 3rd, 2008 - i don't know how you found me, but welcome to the new board.  it was started just today.  the maintenance, tutorial, fishing and for sale sections will be "read only" until i get everything loaded in.  even after that, they will probably remain "read only" until i see how much work this is really going to be.  i've been wanting to start my own website for quite some time now.  i have so much "stuff" spread out all over the internet that it's become impossible to keep track of.  posts have wandered off to other boards, some have even been translated into foreign languages.  i never would have believed that this material would have ever gained such acceptance.  it has actually been quite humbling.  it has also been getting away from me. 

i will continue to post and field questions on all the other websites, but please check back here for updates and changes before you actually crack open a reel.  if there is an update on a fishing reel rebuild post, i want make sure you know before hand.  to all of you that have been supportive and encouraging, and even to those of you that have been harshly critical, you have my sincere gratitude.  i could not have come this far without you.  alan

Here is a "BLAST FROM THE PAST" . . . 9 years ago !

Glad to hear Alan is regaining his strength . . . Praying for him !

Tight Lines !

alantani

wow, 9 years coming up?  that first month of december we got 20 thousand hits.  this last month, we were just shy of 3 million.  too bad we can't make any money off of this!!!!!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tiddlerbasher

Maybe not making money - BUT making MAGIC ;D

alantani

The growth has literally been exponential.

ez2cdave

Quote from: alantani on September 04, 2017, 07:40:03 PM
The growth has literally been exponential.

Alan, you are a great "gardener", taking us from a BONSAI to a SEQUOIA !

Tight Lines !

Holley600

I just wanted to say Hello to everyone and that I have recently been hit with the vintage reel bug !! I blame ebay,Lol, I am the proud owner of a Penn 155 and a JC Higgins 484.They are in really good shape and I will be searching the pages for upgrade information as well as applying new line and casting.I am not familiar with these types of reels as I have been a spinning reel guy most of my fishing life ! Thanks for having me,looking forward to learning !!

alantani

foakes

Welcome aboard, Adrian --

Where do you live and plan on fishing?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Welcome Adrian! A few of us here love spinning reels, especially the classic older vintage types  ;D, so you are in good hands and company on both ends of the spectrum.   :)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

David Hall

Welcome fellow reelhead.  Your in good company.

Gfish

Quote from: alantani on September 04, 2017, 06:19:55 PM
wow, 9 years coming up?  that first month of december we got 20 thousand hits.  this last month, we were just shy of 3 million.  too bad we can't make any money off of this!!!!!   ;D

As it is, some creative members make some great products for sale. Some can sell excess-to-their-need items here. But I don't think anybody's generating enough profit to become corporate-type-wealthy. If the Forum became mainly a for profit entity though,  complete with typical comercial advertising, etc., etc., wouldn't it eventually ruin everything? I know you's probably just talkin Allen, but I cherish the absence of that profit motive controlling site content. In fact, I'd pay to be a member, just to keep things as they are. That said, "the best things in life are FREE"!
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

alantani

people ask all the time.   i have no plans to start advertising.  i think it would ruin everything. 

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

ez2cdave

Quote from: alantani on October 01, 2017, 03:19:06 PM
people ask all the time.   i have no plans to start advertising.  i think it would ruin everything. 

Alan,

Agreed . . . 100% ! ! !

Glad to see you're on the mend , Sir !

Tight Lines !