Main Menu

first post

Started by alantani, December 04, 2008, 06:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish, PacRat, DolemiteSF0, hrgriz, Taily, carpslinger, Juan, mackereljoe, funhog, circlehook (+ 1 Hidden) and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

bpm2000

Hello from Edmonds, WA! 

Was mostly a freshwater bass guy for years and years, sending my reels off for work once a year with no problems.  Recently started kayak fishing in the salt and my gear is taking a beating!  Getting paid service for my reels now will likely cost too much money and take too much time so decided to start down the path of learning how to service my own. 

Mostly fishing Daiwa but recently had a great deal on a Abu Toro S61 that I couldn't pass up and thought that there must be something I can do before fishing this new reel to "prep" it for saltwater abuse.  Was directed here on a question about preventative maintenance on a new reel via NWKayakAnglers.com - this looks to be one of the premier reel discussion sites!

I'll be doing some deep reading for a bit but newb questions sure to be coming soon on the topic of "preventative maintenance" (that seems to be the term tossed around here for this?).  If anyone has any articles or posts that spell it out and holds your hand would love to see those...

ReelFishingProblems

Quote from: bpm2000 on May 11, 2018, 10:33:57 PM
Hello from Edmonds, WA! 

Was mostly a freshwater bass guy for years and years, sending my reels off for work once a year with no problems.  Recently started kayak fishing in the salt and my gear is taking a beating!  Getting paid service for my reels now will likely cost too much money and take too much time so decided to start down the path of learning how to service my own. 

Mostly fishing Daiwa but recently had a great deal on a Abu Toro S61 that I couldn't pass up and thought that there must be something I can do before fishing this new reel to "prep" it for saltwater abuse.  Was directed here on a question about preventative maintenance on a new reel via NWKayakAnglers.com - this looks to be one of the premier reel discussion sites!

I'll be doing some deep reading for a bit but newb questions sure to be coming soon on the topic of "preventative maintenance" (that seems to be the term tossed around here for this?).  If anyone has any articles or posts that spell it out and holds your hand would love to see those...

foakes

Welcome aboard bpm2000!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

David Hall

Welcome. I too was once a Seattleite,  Bellingham, Blaine and Ferndale used to be home.

happyhooker

Welcome, bpm2000, from Minnesota.

Frank

Gfish

Aloha, from Hawaii, Bpm. Get yourself some paint brushes and some saltwater resistant(marine)grease to start with!
Check out the reel rebuild tutorials sub-forum for Diawa & Abu offa the home page.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Crow

Welcome aboard !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

bpm2000

Quote from: Gfish on May 12, 2018, 03:32:00 AM
Aloha, from Hawaii, Bpm. Get yourself some paint brushes and some saltwater resistant(marine)grease to start with!
Check out the reel rebuild tutorials sub-forum for Diawa & Abu offa the home page.

Thanks for the welcome everyone!  Gfish I have some yamalube on the way but good call on the paintbrushes.

Alto Mare

Welcome bpm!

Sal from PA.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gfish

Quote from: bpm2000 on May 14, 2018, 06:11:46 PM
Quote from: Gfish on May 12, 2018, 03:32:00 AM

Thanks for the welcome everyone!  Gfish I have some yamalube on the way but good call on the paintbrushes.
You probably know, artist size, cut down so they'er stiffer.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

bhale1

bpm2000,
Welcome.... enjoy your stay, lots of good info to be had here....
get some good graese, save your old toothbrushes, and dive in.  Many will help if you get in a jam.
I actually prefer the cheap little "flux" brushes for soldering copper pipe,... cut them down 1/2 way, and grease away ;D
Brett..from AZ

Defender

Hello Everyone!  I'm Defender, coming to you live from beautiful Hastings, Nebraska.  What, you don't know where Hastings is?  Look in about the middle of the U.S. and you'll find Nebraska.  Look in about the middle of Nebraska and you'll find . . . . . nothing, or not much.  Go just south from the middle of nothing and you'll find Hastings.  There are tremendous fishing opportunities in parts of Nebraska, just not around here.  That doesn't diminish my love for fishing, or my enjoyment of Penn reels (older is better).  I grew up fishing for trout in small creeks up in the mountains of Colorado.  That's where my heart will always be, though the old homestead is gone.

I'm in my mid-50's, and retired.  Not by choice, mind you.  The way that I sometimes put it is that middle age has not been kind to me.  Rather than dwell on the negative, I choose living in the best ways that I can.  This includes getting more and more involved in some of my favorite activities, like fishing and hunting and shooting and just about everything else that my wife can't stand.  I started collecting Penn reels at least 10 years ago.  I'm not sure exactly when.  As some sort of a concession to SWMBO, I have pared down the collection a bit.  I particularly like Squidders and Beachmasters and Surfmasters.  Actually, I haven't seen an older Penn I didn't like.  My collection includes several bags of reels.  What do I mean by that?  Well, I went through a phase of stripping some of my reels completely down to clean 'em up.  Those reels are nice and clean, and lonely, as they've been sitting in their bags waiting to be reassembled.  After some frustrating and unproductive sessions of trying to put them back together myself, I've just kept them in their bags.  I'm hoping to meet some folks on here who might be willing to do some reassembling for me, in exchange for a reel or reels of their choice from my bag collection.  When my reels are all back together, I will feel more comfortable about working on them myself.  I'd like to try some of the hot rodding reel upgrades that I've read about here.

In any event, hello to you all.  I'm happy to be here, and looking forward to getting involved.

Midway Tommy

HA! Welcome, Defender, from another Cornhusker! Been to Hastings many times.  ;)

I have a brother-in-law, sister-in-law, niece and a couple of friends that live in Hastings, and they all love to fish, especially for walleye & white bass.

I'm into spinners, never touch conventionals, but there are a lot of great guys here that will guide you through the process of putting your disassembled reels back together. Enjoy your time here, it's good people.  

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)