140/145/146 squidder

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandbar, Fishgolfman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Abombs

Maybe this info will help someone else keep a worn out squidder going longer....

When I got around to replacing the worn out dog from the post above, I got a better look at the gear sleeve. It was, in fact, worn heavily and unevenly just like the tip of the dog was (sorry, no pictures). Rather than order yet another brass sleeve, or spend a lot more on a stainless steel one, what I did was use a small metal file and reshape all the worn gear teeth. I flattened them back to perpendicular with respect to the dog, and it worked well. There was enough brass material leftover to clean up the teeth, and even make the notches slightly deeper (less than a millimeter deeper). It spins and the dog makes a satisfyingly clean click into each gear slot, and it holds damn well. I can pull heavy drag again.

Gfish

Cool! Hopefully no more sharks'll grab your bait. Never had a swivel break but I think it'll happen someday cause I find corrosion(rough turning) alla time in mine. Some I toss, some I lube. Maybe try a fw soak after use?
Last Sat. a hard chargin big'un tried to tip my yak over sideways(rig in the rod holder, couldn't wedge it up outta there), but the drag worked great. When I finally got the rod up after he turned, he bit through the leader. Too fast for a shark, wahoo maybe? 0 for too many now, ha! Always learning by trial & error. Back to a wire leader...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Abombs

Yeah, I hope I can keep the big fish and sharks on heavier tackle.

Yeah, my nice swivels with ball bearings I rinse and put a few drops of reel X into. But I am not meticulous about it. I would generally like to believe that a 150lb swivel is not the weak link when I have it all tied up with 50lb fluoro leader and 40lb mainline.

The other day I was out on a boat, throwing live mullet up into the mangroves hoping for a big snook, and another shark got it. This one must have been 6 feet. It did a half leap and splashed around and cut my leader pretty quick. The water couldn't have been much more than 2 feet deep. Caught me by surprise yet again. But this time I happened to have very heavy tackle... Only problem was the leader didn't stand a chance. The rest of the day I was kicking myself for not having a wire leader, (but then I likely wouldn't have gotten any snook). The trade offs...The sharks are everywhere here. It does influence decisions made when out t on the water...

johndtuttle

Thanks for the tutorial, Alan.

Question: Just what the heck is the difference between the 145 and 146??? Is it a gearing issue?

Clearly the 140 is the widest of the bunch.

Sorry, spent the last few hours researching this and just haven't been able to find the answer....will clearly make a difference when upgrading parts...trying to find out which spools work etc.

Also, any leads on a SS dog for this lil' tank?

MarkT

It's just the frame/spool width. The 146 is the narrow version and the 145 is an intermediate width while the 140 is the wide one. The 146/145/140 are equivalent to the Newell 220/229/235.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Wompus Cat

The middle or 145 has a spool measuring 2 1/8 in and the smallest the 146 has a 1 5/8 inch spool size.

Otherwise I think the guts are the same
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

johndtuttle

oc1

If using braid, the 146 will have all the capacity you need.  They cast really well but I need magnets.  There is barely enough room under the tail plate to fit enough magnets to slow it down.

phishphood

Beginner's questions, but I have an older 140 with sentimental value and would like to narrow it to a 146 size. Am I basically looking for the seat, 4 posts and spool? I'd rather leave it as is then use a new full frame. I've been trying to do some research, but can't figure out either an a) online source for them and/or b) what size Newell I should be trying to find to rip apart.

I've already done the drag washers and will look in to upgrading the guts to withstand stronger drag, but only if I can narrow it. It's just for fishing the local 1/2 days for bass and bonita etc.
-Mitch
A forever beginner

Swami805

One of the vendors on here sells bars and the spools.  Pro challenger.  For bars I believe another  vendor Cortez conversions has them in stainless like the stock bars
For a base in penn parts it's the same for a 49,501 and 146
For Newell a base for a 220 or 322, bars aren't the same though need 146 squidder bars.
The spool is unique to the 146 squidder, doesn't matter who made it, doesn't work in any other model
If you're looking for used part check out Randy, vintage offshore tackle, he may have what you need
Lots of aftermarket parts for that reel, plenty of choices
Do what you can with that you have where you are

phishphood

Swami, thanks for the help again (here and BD).
-Mitch
A forever beginner

thorhammer

Mystic Parts has some parts, namely the spacer bars (round) that also fit 180, 49, 149, 349, and prolly a -49 stand.
Ted (Maxed Out) MIGHT have a narrow aluminum 501 stand, which is Cadillac with Prochallenger aluminum spacer bars. One thing with PC spools- Ted has some blade / knob combos that match some of those colors so you can mix it up a bit.

John

MisterStinky

Quote from: rednecktailg8er on June 16, 2013, 02:37:33 AMtrying to figure out how to add pictures. lets see if this works. i dont know how to shrink the photos.

Does anybody know if a 200 surfmaster dog and flat dog spring will fit this style of plate? I have a reel missing the dog and spring and the coilspring type dog interferes with the posts. The only schematic I can find shows the coilspring type. Thanks..