500/501 jigmaster

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slater_Fish, sabaman1 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ikaika

I was going to soak the whole assembly in degreaser, but I will try prying them apart - carefully.

bluefish69

Help

I have a New Maroon Right Side plate & I went to install it it the ring but it would not line up with the take apart screw 1/8" short of hole. Is there a way to adjust the 3 pins in the side plate?

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Irish Jigger

Yes, you can adjust it by filing the 3 mating slots. Remove the slotted inner ring from the plain outer ring (it's a light press fit.)
Fit the slotted inner ring to the side plate and hand tighten.
Observe where the pins are binding in the 3 slots and mark with felt tip pen.
Remove slotted inner ring and very carefully file the slots to permit the two small take apart holes to line up.
This is best done using needle files.
Reassemble rings and fit the posts using the 4 countersunk head screws.
Refit side plate and check fit,you may have to repeat the process until final hole alingment is achieved.
It's fiddly but rewarding when it all comes together. ;D

a_taka

having problems with my jigmaster. Doing alot of bait casting. I get small kine bird nest the line always going in between the spool and the side plate. Im using 40# berkley big game. I have another jigmaster with the same line that never does that. Could something be wrong with my reel.

alantani

it might not be centered properly.  if the bushings are worn, they might have to be replaced.  it's the right side that is most critical, because the left side can be adjusted. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

a_taka

ok sounds good. I was gonna change out the stock sleeve with the stainless I got from you Alan. But was wondering if the reel was no good. Someones selling newell bushings on craigslist that fits the jigmaster. So probly gonna pick that up. Thanks for the info ..

alantani

first question, though.  is the spool properly centered?

Alto Mare

Do as Alan said, don't go spending money yet.
It also sounds like the spool is not centered to me. This might sound stupid, but I've seen it before, make sure the handle side bushing in screwed in all the way.
Did you notice if the spool is positioned all the way to the right?...handle side. Sometimes a spacer on that side will center the spool.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

a_taka

Thanks again Alan, and thanks Alto. never thought of putting spacers on the bushing to center it. Im glad I asked questions on here first cause I would have got rid of the reel. The spool does kinda look like its more to the left.

suitekids

I thought I would mention, only cause I have not seen it posted anywhere else, but that doesn't mean it hasn't so I am not trying to hijack another post, I saw somewhere that the under gear HT-100 6-113 was used, and there were concerns about it's diameter overlapping the gear sleeve to much. I really don't believe the the 6-113 is going to fold up under pressure and interefere with the dog. It made me think about some extra HT-100's I had in the repair storage container. And lo-and behold a perfect match/fit, and I am sure Sal would appreciate this. The perfect fit/match for your 500 under gear washer is the HT-100 6-60, these are from the Penn 7500ss spinning reel, they are just right and almost identical to the old fashioned phenolic under gear washer. I just did the rebuild on my Penn/Accurate 500 and used this, HT-100 6-309sp kit and HT-100 6-60 under gear, works smooth as butta! Dan

bluefish69

That was me that asked about that Drag Washer. I have tried it on other Penn Reels & it work great. I still haven't done it to my J M Jrs yet. I have some grinding to do so I can get the Newell 5-1 Gears to fit. When I am finished there will be more Newell then Penn. It's hard working with a 5 yr old helping. The last time he was taking a reel apart for me. I might never find all the springs.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

suitekids

Well if you find you can't get the Newells to work, I sure do have a home for them!!! I currently have the 4:1 Steel main gear set which is actually stronger in my opinion than SS, it's the ratio I would like to increase as in 5:1 Newells, and I have the Accurate side plates and won't have to modify it to work, at anyrate the 6-60 is the perfect match for the gear sleeve....Dan

a_taka

Just changed out my old gear sleeve in my jigmaster with the stainless gear sleeve from Alan. Put in new carbon drag. Wow you can really tell the difference in the drag. Can't wait to test um out.

alantani

these can be very frustrating to work on sometimes. 

Alto Mare

Quote from: suitekids on December 30, 2012, 05:32:02 PM
I thought I would mention, only cause I have not seen it posted anywhere else, but that doesn't mean it hasn't so I am not trying to hijack another post, I saw somewhere that the under gear HT-100 6-113 was used, and there were concerns about it's diameter overlapping the gear sleeve to much. I really don't believe the the 6-113 is going to fold up under pressure and interefere with the dog. It made me think about some extra HT-100's I had in the repair storage container. And lo-and behold a perfect match/fit, and I am sure Sal would appreciate this. The perfect fit/match for your 500 under gear washer is the HT-100 6-60, these are from the Penn 7500ss spinning reel, they are just right and almost identical to the old fashioned phenolic under gear washer. I just did the rebuild on my Penn/Accurate 500 and used this, HT-100 6-309sp kit and HT-100 6-60 under gear, works smooth as butta! Dan
Good tip on the 6-60, Dan ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.