500/501 jigmaster

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garking84

The drag washers where ht-100s. I remember because I ordered the ht 100 kit from Pennparts.  I ended up selling that jigmaster couple weeks ago. I'm  sure it was something simple because the person who bought it seemed pretty confident in fixing it. I just didn't have the time or patience to keep messing with it  :-\  Thanks for all the help guys

mike1010

I recently bought my first 501, and went through it, replacing the weirdo drag washer stack that was there with wet HT-100s and new metals, and added an SS gear post (with correct star) and AR dog.  Nice reel, but I am having an issue with getting enough drag.  It takes a few turns of the star to get any drag at all, and I bottom out at about 7 0r 8 pounds.  I'm guessing some bellvilles or a longer spacer are called for.  Does that seem right?  If so, what's a good source?  As a hobbyist, I just need a couple of pieces.  Thanks for your suggestions.

Mike

Bryan Young

Mike, before buying a new sleeve and other parts, replace the top metal drag washer with one of the original keyed drag washers if there is a difference in thickness.  If not, you may also try adding one of the original keyed drag washers to the top of the drag stack.  If that metal washer rubs on the sideplate, place a metal drag washer under the star.  One of those should solve your problem.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mike1010

Good suggestions,  Bryan.   I will experiment with them in the next day or so.   Just waiting for some things from Dawn.   (Trying to avoid extra round trips through the reel.)   Thanks.

Mike

bluefish69

Mike

You never said that you had a 8-60 Spring Washer on top of the Stack

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

mike1010

Mike, the 8-60 is in place.

fIsHsTiiCkS

The keyed washer should help and I had this issue once and the eared washer had become displaced when I was putting everything back together. Did you replace the under gear washer as well? Lastly a beville washer between the spacer and star will help with the issue of having to turn the star a few times before the drag pressure is felt. I move the Bellville washers around all the ime till I get a feel that I like with the drag.

mike1010

Sorry to be slow in replying, but I wanted to have something definite to say, and was waiting for some parts.  First, success!  Details:

When I started to work on the reel again, there was a little drag even with the star fully backed off, which was not always true.  This turned out to be the eared washer having escaped, which must have happened when I was fiddling trying to figure out the low peak drag.  Nice call, FishSticks.  After getting the stack back together, looking for decent drag I cranked the star down right down onto the chromed collar in the side plate that the spacer passes through.  This I fixed by adding another keyed washer under the spring washer, Bryan's suggestion.  Speaking of the spring washer, mine doesn't have much spring in it, is pretty close to flat.  I guess a replacement is called for.

So now I've got plenty of drag to go chasing stripers if they every show up in NJ.  Thanks to everyone for suggestions and comments.

Mike

bluefish69

The Striped Bass are mostly in Montauk & just starting at Fire Island. They will get to you.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Glad it's working great for you! Now slay some striper!

mike1010

Yeah, the stripers are a little late this year.  My guess is that the water has been too warm, at least partly due to the mild autumn.  But just now I read a report of some jig fish.  The post was not big on specifics, but it appears to be somewhere between the Hook and Shark River, so game on.

Mike

fIsHsTiiCkS

Any1 know if there are any left hand ss sleeves around?

Bryan Young

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on November 09, 2014, 10:26:41 PM
Any1 know if there are any left hand ss sleeves around?
I'm sorry, I purchased Alan's last gear sleeve for my son's Penn 259 Narrow conversation.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ant

Hi guys
I spend a fair bit of time servicing friends Jigmaster's and what I'm getting regularly is the bridge post becoming loose and allowing lots of sideways movement in the handle which on some disengages the dog. Also the gear sleeve no longer spins on the post but the whole post and gear sleeve spin together it would seem to be a weakness of the reel but to be fair they often tackle 60 pound fish. I have been replacing the bridge, is there a repair for the worn ones?

Many thanks
Ant

Alto Mare

Quote from: Ant on December 12, 2014, 05:29:43 AM
Hi guys
I spend a fair bit of time servicing friends Jigmaster's and what I'm getting regularly is the bridge post becoming loose and allowing lots of sideways movement in the handle which on some disengages the dog. Also the gear sleeve no longer spins on the post but the whole post and gear sleeve spin together it would seem to be a weakness of the reel but to be fair they often tackle 60 pound fish. I have been replacing the bridge, is there a repair for the worn ones?

Many thanks
Ant
Try here:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10424.0
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.