500/501 jigmaster

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat, Benni3 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gman_WC

8 tooth holds on one dog at a time.
10 tooth both dogs at same time.

-gary
Walnut Creek, CA

nelz

Quote from: Gman_WC on April 23, 2018, 11:56:01 PM
-gary

Ah-ha! Thanks.

Reel 224

Quote from: Gman_WC on April 23, 2018, 11:56:01 PM

-gary

Problem solved. ;D

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Gman_WC

I received the Pro Challenger JM500X kit last night.
Can't wait to get it installed. Upgrading from 8 tooth ss gear sleeve and CF drags
to the newer config.
-g
Walnut Creek, CA

PacRat

Sal and Joe are giving good advice. All of these aftermarket parts are made with very tight tolerances and may or may not require fitting. When parts from three manufacturers come together there will usually be some minor issues. Filing, sanding or stoning that little nub on the dog is necessary in some combinations of parts because some gear-sleeve ratchet ODs are slightly larger (I don't remember which but it is covered on this site). If you want your dogs to alternate; shortening one of the dogs will do the trick. I believe that if you shorten the dog in Sal's photo you may not need to address the nub as the binding occurs as the dog traverses the tip of the AR ratchet tooth on the gear-sleeve; the larger OD gear-sleeve ratchet pushes the nub into the edge of side-plate dog cut-out. That nub on the dog binds against the cut-out on the aluminum side plates and a slightly shorter dog will likely not bind. The difference of just a few thousandths can be felt when you crank the reel. Remember to go slow and remove just a little material at a time then test fit. You will feel the difference each time if you are removing material in the right places. A wise machinist once taught me to be patient and go slow because it's always easier to remove a little more material than it is to put some back on.
Have fun, learn lots
Mike

PacRat

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=16099.180
Review this thread. The double-dog issue is first discussed on page 13 and the gear-sleeve issue is addressed on page 16. I never fixed my photo bucket account but you can download a free patch that will allow you to see photobucket photos on any site. That's what I'm doing for now.

MolBasser

Awesome.

Praise the Flying Spaghetti Monster for the internet.

I'll look at all that and review that thread.  I'm just going to go slow and get it all awesome....

MolBasser

MolBasser

Quote from: PacRat on April 24, 2018, 04:10:29 PM
Sal and Joe are giving good advice. All of these aftermarket parts are made with very tight tolerances and may or may not require fitting. When parts from three manufacturers come together there will usually be some minor issues. Filing, sanding or stoning that little nub on the dog is necessary in some combinations of parts because some gear-sleeve ratchet ODs are slightly larger (I don't remember which but it is covered on this site). If you want your dogs to alternate; shortening one of the dogs will do the trick. I believe that if you shorten the dog in Sal's photo you may not need to address the nub as the binding occurs as the dog traverses the tip of the AR ratchet tooth on the gear-sleeve; the larger OD gear-sleeve ratchet pushes the nub into the edge of side-plate dog cut-out. That nub on the dog binds against the cut-out on the aluminum side plates and a slightly shorter dog will likely not bind. The difference of just a few thousandths can be felt when you crank the reel. Remember to go slow and remove just a little material at a time then test fit. You will feel the difference each time if you are removing material in the right places. A wise machinist once taught me to be patient and go slow because it's always easier to remove a little more material than it is to put some back on.
Have fun, learn lots
Mike

This is wise and I agree.

MolBasser

MolBasser

I have been remiss on follow up.

Lot's of stuff going on at the Brewery so less time to futz with fishing reels.  I will try and post up pictures tomorrow.  I'm also dealing with a broken washing machine.  Anyone know about Kenmore washers?  lol.

MolBasser

Swami805

if it's an older model mechanical control washer likely just a part or 2. If it's newer good luck, likely the mother board.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Ron Jones

Even the boards aren't that hard. YouTube is your friend!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Riy2018

I was trying to paint Jigmaster side plates. They faded in 30 years.
Any recommendations.
Thanks

bhale1

;D....I would say if thats what it looks like after 30 years, then keep on fishing it!!!!!
Brett

sdlehr

Honestly, repainting or stripping, it's not going to look that much better for very long because of the tight clearances and the wear on the paint. If the appearance bothers you, repaint.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Chuck

Do you also grease the under gear washer or leave it dry? Setup I went with is detailed here using the 6113 as under gear washer and HT-100's in gear.