500/501 jigmaster

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExcessiveAngler, DolemiteSF0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gman_WC

Poor orphan FleaBay 506 >:(

Can it be saved?  ???

Yea Baby!!!!   :o My last day of vacation and the last chore to finish. Woops, it's midnight and I got real fishing reel issues!  ::)
Walnut Creek, CA

redsetta

Nice work on the 506 - well done.
One of my favourite models too.
Cheers for sharing, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

one of my favorite reels!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gman_WC

Quote from: alantani on July 16, 2012, 08:47:16 PM
one of my favorite reels!

Mine also Alan! 506, 501, 146, 113HN ;)
When I received the reel it was missing the handle lock screw and tension washer on the
outside under the star.
The drags and washers were in bad shape so I replaced them
with a standard Smooth Drag 4+1 carbontex drag kit and new 3 washer pack.
I now have ample room for more washers and drags, but only replaced it back to stock configuration.
How many drags I can jam in this little hot rod, 5+1?
Alan, thanks for sending me the screw and do you have the tension washers?
Did it come stock with one or two?
-g
Walnut Creek, CA

LI Guy

OK, you guys got me thinking. After reading this great tutorial, I knew I still had some of these laying around and not used in twenty years or more. After checking I came up with two right away that I'm going to restore. Both reels have the take apart screw on the left side plate as opposed to the right plate. I believe both reels were bought in the late seventies or very early eighties. Both reels are marked on the left side plate PENN JIGMASTER 500S MADE IN U.S.A. The only marking on the right side plate is on and off for the shift lever. One has an alluminum Newell spool and the old brown Newell bearing/bushing caps made of plastic or nylon. The other reel has the red annodized alluminium spool .

redsetta

Welcome aboard Pollocks.
Well done on the rebuild.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

nicely done, and welcome!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

LI Guy

I just finished going over one of my 500s's. The first thing I noticed was a steel main gear. From the photos on this thread it seems that they came with a bronze main gear. I wonder if this was standard on the "S" model. Any way the inside of the gear appeared to be machined a little rough. After cleaning up the drag fibers I noticed that the inside fiber [the one that faces up to the gear] was worn more than the others. Has anyone else noticed this with steel main gears?

Danhans

great reel you got there..
501 is a narrow version of 500..am i right?
so, what's the different between 501 and 506?
sorry if it's a silly question..  ???

miamipescador

Quote from: Danhans on July 27, 2012, 03:01:56 PM
great reel you got there..
501 is a narrow version of 500..am i right?
so, what's the different between 501 and 506?
sorry if it's a silly question..  ???
501 is a narrow 500
506 is a narrow 505

The 500 has bushings and 4:1 ratio, 505 has 2 ball bearings 5:1 ratio and an aluminum spool.
The 505 casts much better

miamipescador

Quote from: LI Guy on July 27, 2012, 02:33:37 PM
I just finished going over one of my 500s's. The first thing I noticed was a steel main gear. From the photos on this thread it seems that they came with a bronze main gear. I wonder if this was standard on the "S" model. Any way the inside of the gear appeared to be machined a little rough. After cleaning up the drag fibers I noticed that the inside fiber [the one that faces up to the gear] was worn more than the others. Has anyone else noticed this with steel main gears?
Are you talking about the washer under the main gear?
There should be a stack with carbon fiber washers on top, and the a felt washer on the bottom.
Alan reccomends changing the felt one to carbon fiber for this same reason

LI Guy

No it's not the thrust washer. I replaced that with HT 6-113. It's the inside drag washer that is housed inside the gear. I'm sure it was caused by the poorly machined surface.

Bryan Young

LI Guy,  First of all, welcome to our site.  Glad you decided to join us.

Steel gears, if the drags were dry, it is likely that there was slight corrosion (pitting) in the gear.  I usually use a wire brush with my dremel to smooth them out.  But, if you install greased carbon drags, the pitted surface will hold the CF drag washer and the other side adjacent to the keyed washer will slide anyway, and will have no effect.  Not to worry, but be sure to keep those gears greased to prevent further corrosion.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

LI Guy

Bryan, Thanks for the welcome and the prompt reply. The drag washers I installed were HT 100 greased with Shimano drag grease. The drag functions just fine, but I think that washer will continue to wear more than the others because of the surface. It's not corrosion but it's grooved as if poorly machined from the start.

Danhans

Quote from: miamipescador on July 27, 2012, 03:28:51 PM
501 is a narrow 500
506 is a narrow 505

The 500 has bushings and 4:1 ratio, 505 has 2 ball bearings 5:1 ratio and an aluminum spool.
The 505 casts much better

ahaaa...thanks miamipescador!